Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airsofters caution.

Options
  • 13-07-2008 4:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

filairsoft wrote:
    Got Hit In The Eye!!!!!!
    eye.jpg

Last May 18, 2008, Sunday, I was hit by a bb on the upper corner of my right eyelid (very lucky indeed, not a direct hit on my eyeball) and the bb inserted in my lower eyelid. The bb was not detected at the time I was at the ER. It was only detected after 24 hours by my personal ophthalmologist. No damage on my retina but my vision is at present blurred and my eye is very red and swollen as though I was given a straight right hook.

This all because of a player by the name of >snip< (most probably a newbie) who was adjusting the hop-up of his gun and carelessly (without thinking) fired his weapon at the wrong direction.

With this incident I have decided to quit my beloved hobby for 3 years now. It is very heart-breaking indeed.

Also, with this incident, I would like to appeal to the many gamesites to be very strict with gun safety. The mag-out rule (clear gun also for remaining bbs) could be implemented when gun is not in use (right after each game after getting hit, rest area, photo ops, etc.) just like a real gun. We should start to be professional in our hobby now and stop treating our airsoft guns as harmless toys!!!

>snip<

Quote from filairsoft. May this serve a caution to everyone on our sport, safety is our priority..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Seen it with my own eyes that someone in the safe zone had the mag out but pointed the gun at someone. When he was told not to point the gun at anyone he responded that the mag was out. Obviously he didn't have enough information about Airsoft guns.....

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Tomazas

That is a very good example there you can use and there not your AEG. Hope that the skirmish site owners will take after this much more seriously. As my own health is more important than my hobby.
    Hope you will get well and it wont be any damage after to your eye. Good luck Fasterkayote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

yes indeed hopefully more care will be taken by site reps to ensure safety is upmost also i dont think you should post others peoples names and address in a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Also, with this incident, I would like to appeal to the many gamesites to be very strict with gun safety. The mag-out rule (clear gun also for remaining bbs) could be implemented when gun is not in use (right after each game after getting hit, rest area, photo ops, etc.) just like a real gun. We should start to be professional in our hobby now and stop treating our airsoft guns as harmless toys!!!
    >snip<

It should be noted that if the person was adjusting his hop, he was more than likely at a range area. And if that is the case, why wasn't the unlucky victim wearing eye protection.
    As it stands the rules in most sites are simple. Once approaching, and in, the safe zone, mags are removed, breaches cleared and selectors set to safe. Only then can eye wear be removed. I've seen this enforced rather rigidly at every site in Ireland and the UK so, personally, I'm more than happy with the sports safety awareness. There's not a lot more people can do.

Also, could you remove the name and address in the post please? It's got all kinds of legal shady areas attached to it if posting on a public forum like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What's the problem here? Being shot in the eye is a constant risk, we are all aware of it. The same as losing teeth. If you have a problem with it you should have left the sport the day you joined.

And remove the name from the site. It's slander and posting of other peoples personal details without permission is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

He's not giving out about it, he's quoted a post from filairsoft.com. It happened to someone else, fasterkayote_ is just reposting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

How was the bb not detected in the A&E? Any nurse or attending doctor who didnt spot a 6MM plastic ball bearing (which is rather large in relation to the tissues and membranes of the eye) should probably be removed from duty due to sheer incompetence. Any impact to the eye should have been checked by X-RAY which would have shown the BB clearly.

Second, the BB becoming lodged in the manner suggestefd one of two things must have happened. Either the BB struck you at the EXACT angle to pass between the ocular cavity bones, the surface of the eye AND the eye-lid WITHOUT rupturing any of the tissues or it must have penetrated the eyelid itself. Thats a ridiculously unlikely hit.

Third, what, exactly, does this have to do with Irish Airsofting? The vast majority of people go well out of their way to ensure the safe zone remains safe, the argument about whether airsoft devices are treated as toys or not is a red-herring since the label applied to the device does not change the requirements from proper operation. Like riding a bike, it might not be considered a proper "vehicle" by many but you will still get a ticket for cycling on the footpath if a Garda wants to enforce the law properly. It might have been bought as a toy for your 11 year old to cycle in the driveway but it doesnt change the fact that if they dont know how to control it they are very likely going to run over their sisters Barbie dolls.

Just my 2C

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

NakedDex wrote: »
    He's not giving out about it, he's quoted a post from filairsoft.com. It happened to someone else, fasterkayote_ is just reposting it.

Thats even worse, you don't see me going around posting about the guy in Berget with the Glass eye because of Airsoft. It happens, we all know it. Why bother pointing out the obvious and giving an impression that this happens easily.

As Hivemind says, the angle the BB would have to enter to lodge behind the eyelid would suggest a very close range shot at a awkward upwards angle. That smacks of a second side to this story not being told.

And lastly, he is posting up someone's personal details, slandering their name, giving away their address and it didn't even happen to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Guys, this doesn't sound right. The bruising around the eye doesn't sit right, it looks like a knuckle bruise & the symptoms of red eye can be caused by something as simple as hayfever or a finger in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Very innapropriate to post someones name & address along with an unsubstantiated allegation of assault against them. Sorry, but post reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So this is a repost from another website? Who's to say the rifle wasn't shooting well over 1 joule?

You're really just posting second hand information. It may be true, it may be made up, who knows?

Anyway, thread locked and address removed. Even if it isn't a local to here, I'm still not comfortable with peoples addresses being posted on forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement