Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice to new teachers

Options
  • 12-07-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Just had a thought.......

Would it be an idea to start a thread/forum where newly qualified teachers could gain much needed advice in their subject areas (or maybe just in general) from more experienced teachers?

Only qualified five years myself I know at times it was difficult to find anyone or anywhere I could gain some insight into what or how I should be doing things. Its quite a daunting thing leaving college and all of a sudden being expected to know everything about your subject area- I know this forum is used as an advice centre already but maybe it could be made more obvious?

I know its a profession where you are constantly learning anyway and will never know it all! so it may be of help to us all?

Just a thought :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Advise me people! The thought of having to deal with and prepare for a full timetable terrifies me!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Ah its good to be terrified! just do a bit before startin in August - are you primary or secondary? if you know what the scheme of work is for the first month anyhow you will be grand! dont try to be too organised though or youll wreck your own head, things rarely go to plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

Just had a thought.......

Would it be an idea to start a thread/forum where newly qualified teachers could gain much needed advice in their subject areas

Brilliant forestfruits,

personally I think this is an excellent idea. The thought was rattling around in my head for a while before registering on this thing. It strikes me that most of what is posted on here is fairly egocentric (please don't take offence). I'll qualify that by saying that this is perfectly acceptable and natural and my first post was pretty self-interested but this is a great place for those who are interested, to swap ideas, and generally 'buzz' off each other, suggesting various strategies and interventions etc which would benefit our students and improve our teaching.

And I know I may be coming across as a terribly naive neophyte with an unbridled desire to educate, but hey, is that such a terrible thing, after all I'm just a terribly naive neophyte etc.

So, is there an interest, should there be a dedicated forum or fora for that matter? Does it start here?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Think this is a great idea ... out on the job a few years myself but i must say college did in no way prepare me for the many different curriculum i had to teach.

by the way for any new biology teachers there is a vast range of resources and forums
    from the nbss - just go to www.slss.ie and go to the biology link - trust me it is fantastic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 747

ok am gonna give this another shot, Im sec sch teacher, I teach art, sphe, tefl, Im finding it almost impossbile to get work. Now I know! youve heard it all before, but, this is very very discouraging seeing as I went back to do my Hdip put in a alot of blood sweat n tears to find myself constantly broke and looking for work. I did have a 6 month stint with the VEC, has anyone else worked for them?? I worked really hard with really tough kids and was treated really badly and bascially head office advertised my post and my job went from under my feet, thats jus cutting a very long story short.

SO!! here's my question? what are those of you doing that cant get work? are you planning on career change? OR here's my other question Ive asked many people this but I havent got answer.... Has anyone worked as qualified teacher abroad? as in England, Canada /US, can anyone tell me how difficult it is and if its worth it. every time Ive looked into it Ive hit a brick wall.

So thanks guys for reading this post and sincerely hope someone has some advice or experiences here!!!!

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement