Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Interfers with sky

Options
  • 12-07-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Has anyone had the issue of there wifi modem interfering with there sky picture.
    I have had trouble with certain stations on sky such as living, setanta sports 1, setanta sports news, zone horror, zone thriller.
    The picture on these stations would keep breaking up and going blocky.
    I had an engineer out to line up my dish, check lnb and all was 100% but I still had the same problem.

I plugged out my Thompson digiweb modem (because I needed the power socket) and the picture on these channels was perfect. When I plugged it back in the picture went blocky again.
    I have repeated this a few times and every time I plug out my digiweb modem the pictures gets sorted.

Anyone know what’s going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

What type of cable is installed from the dish to the receiver?

an_other wrote: »
    Has anyone had the issue of there wifi modem interfering with there sky picture.
    I have had trouble with certain stations on sky such as living, setanta sports 1, setanta sports news, zone horror, zone thriller.
    The picture on these stations would keep breaking up and going blocky.
    I had an engineer out to line up my dish, check lnb and all was 100% but I still had the same problem.

I plugged out my Thompson digiweb modem (because I needed the power socket) and the picture on these channels was perfect. When I plugged it back in the picture went blocky again.
    I have repeated this a few times and every time I plug out my digiweb modem the pictures gets sorted.

Anyone know what’s going on?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭an_other

Hi Tony.

I don't know what kind of cable it is but it was run down by the sky installer.

Do you think it's an insulation problem with the cable?

Do you think it's an insulation problem with the cable?

Its the most likely cause although sky installers are supposed to use CT100 type cable

Can i tell what type of cable it is my looking at it?

Only cetain stations are having problems why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭stanley1

Is thera a phone line plugged into sky box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Digiweb wireless broadband are using frequency spectrum close to satellite (around 10GHz) , its probably swamping the Sky LNB due to very close proximity of the Digiweb antenna.

relocate either the dish or the Digiweb panel antenna so that they cannot see each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

This is likely to become even more of a problem in the future. We have more and more devices in our homes using radio spectrum. Wireless routers, phones, video senders, bluetooth etc. I had to relocate our cordless dect phone from the hallway to one of the bedrooms because it caused interference with the Sky receiver.

Yes it should be marked on the cable at metre intervals, if you screw off the connector you should see copper tape and braid.
    Can i tell what type of cable it is my looking at it?

Hi there is no phone line plugged into the sky box.

It says on the cable "webro H109f(e) CAI 0038 B 02-06 073m"

The digiweb ariel and sky dish are both right beside each other.

Its good quality cable

Hi there is no phone line plugged into the sky box.

It says on the cable "webro H109f(e) CAI 0038 B 02-06 073m"

The digiweb ariel and sky dish are both right beside each other.

• Advertisement

it must be the digiweb ariel and sky dish interfering with each other so I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

I don't think a metal dish is going to interfere with anything! :rolleyes:

Just for info. CT100 cable hasn't been manufactured for over 3 years. It was superseded by H109F but that went out about a year ago and was replaced by WC100. But the best stuff is WF100 which has a foam dielectric.

And it's not the "insulation" that stops interference but the "screening".
    The digiweb aerial and sky dish are both right beside each other.

That's very silly. Move one of them.

It's the only place I can get line of site for the digiweb.
    If I move the dish I will have to stick it on the front of the house (which the council dont want) or mount it on pole out the back which mean the wind will get it.

Advertisement