Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you move a Sky+ box from tv to another?

Options
  • 12-07-2008 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭

Possibly a silly question...
    I'm thinking of getting Sky+ . We have two tvs in the house. Is it possible to move the Sky+ box between the 2 tvs like you could do with a dvd/ video recorder etc or is it anchored to one TV for good?
    I have asked 2 sales reps on the phone but neither knew the answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

You can move it around but to receive any channels, you need a lead coming from the dish in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Dman001 wrote: »
    You can move it around but to receive any channels, you need a lead coming from the dish in the room.

You have to link it to your phone line. So as long as you have an phone extension, you can move it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I installed Sky Plus this week and I didn't need any phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

pirelli wrote: »
    You have to link it to your phone line. So as long as you have an phone extension, you can move it anywhere.

Wow...that was quick:)

I have a phone extention point in my bedroom too so that would be perfect. Is it easy to up and move or does it require tuning and installing on each TV everytime that you move it ?

Thanks all for the prompt replies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Instead of

=========SKY======TV

split the line after the sky box, so it's

=========SKY======TV
    ..........................||
    ..........................===TV

(ignore the dots: they're just there to keep the lines in place)

And if you get the right sort of splitter, you'll be able to change the sky channel from either TV. Note, or course, both TV's will be seeing the same channel.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

You could always install a tv link from your box to the other tv - it would save you moving the box all the time. I have two in the house and its great - I even got extra Sky+ remotes for about €11 each for the two rooms.

The tv links cost next to nothing - theres an example (I'm sure you could get it even cheaper - I just took the first ad as an example!)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/For-Sky-Magic-Eye-tv-LINK-Grey-Control-satellite-in-bed_W0QQitemZ380044929388QQihZ025QQcategoryZ67881QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'll look into a splitter but watching the same thing on both TVs is not what I'm after. Maybe I'll relent if its the best option however.
    Thanks everyone for the replies.Ye've all been much more helpful than the skysales people I spoke to. :)

Advertisement