Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what gun to choose...help...

• 11-07-2008 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hello,
    im 17 and have been hunting with a friend for the past year and a half,im now wanting to get a rifle of my own,i hear the cz are a very good maker.but am open to all makers.
    can anyone please give me an appropiate maker and calibre for me that would be mostly hunting rabbits but i would also be wanting to take down the odd fox aswell.

am open to a new and used rifle,if you are selling anything that fits my prescription im willing to spend 250-425 on a rifle plus assesories.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

You will be wanting a .17 cal. make of gun is up to you as you are the one going to be using it. Good makes- CZ,Remington,Ruger. I would spend the total you have on a new gun,wouldnt by a 2nd hand one. For sake of couple of hundred you will have a brand new gun. For rabbit only,no fox'es a .22lr would be parfect but it will not take down a fox. difference in .17 & .22 is .17 is flat flight and good to 150yrds easy if good enough and bullet costing €18 a box of 50 and will kill a fox. .22 curved flight and only effective out to 80yrds with subsonic bullet maybe 120yrds with high velocity. .22 bullet €6 box of 50. choice is yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

fiestaman wrote: »
    ............ For rabbit only,no fox'es a .22lr would be parfect but it will not take down a fox. ....

A .22 lr will take down foxes at appropiate distances, depending on shooters ability and type of ammo used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rabbit hunter

i think i am sweading for a .177 HMR, what do you think..

what are the top 3 rifles in this calibre,

do you know anyone who is selling their rifle(privatly)

can you recommended any dealer in the cork area,will travell if needed

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

A .22 lr will take down foxes at appropiate distances, depending on shooters ability and type of ammo used.
    what distance do you recommend, and what bullet?? Exactly where would you be aiming on the fox?

Advertisement