Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD Photography Night Course

Options
  • 11-07-2008 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

I just managed to get my application into the CEAD Photography+Digital Imaging certificate course in NCAD today.

If I don't get a place, I'm still happy enough that it forced me to complete a project.

Has anyone else here applied?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I know Leinsterman did the course, but he found it a bit too... conceptual, I think. I don't think he enjoyed it overall.

There's a lot of theory involved, not your general f-stop theory, but why people take photographs, etc etc.

Let me know if you get in, I'll be seeing you around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

'Skinda the reason I chose to do this course. Well, two reasons. One was I heard they really got into exploring the theory of photography, culture, etc. The other was to learn that, and the technical stuff, in a structured environment, collaborating and battling with other people in the class.

Sure we'll see what happens.

I'd love to hear more from people who did the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 grainne.obrien

I thought the dead line for applications was last week, so ended up handing in my portfolio a week early.
    I'm hoping that I'll learn plenty, with 3 photo projects I'm sure there will be plenty of particle learning as well as the theory.

Gra

Good stuff.

As far as I know, you'll be having better classroom facilities this year. Not sure what's happening with the Darkrooms, as far as I know, the studio's being moved in there.

Let me know how you all get on anyways. :)

Eh, anyone know how much the course is?

• Advertisement

Think it's about 1200

Just got my letter to say I'd didn't make the cut but that I'm on a waiting list. Still have my fingers crossed but it's not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Well I forgot to send in mine, bummer.

But on the off chance I phoned last week to see if i could. Well , no I couldn't.

But the news Grainne, is that the course is not just full, but they got so many applicants that they are running a second course, so you maybe on that. Fingers crossed, eh:D

T.

Ya for sure I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    But in case I don't make it I gotta go look at other course that are worht while. Of course I should have done this a few months ago. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm basicly looking for something that is more that just an 8-10 week evening course. Something advanced.

Gra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Me too,

Aside from the three year degree course (Griffith College, part-time) , I've found nothing as yet. Considering that one at the mo.

Keep us posted if you find something?

T.

• Advertisement

I just went and looked at that course and their Diploma in photography. It's the first year of the degree course full time or part time. The only problem is the price tag at 3,900 for the part time with 20% back on tax. So don't know.

Have you looked into Back to Education grants?

Just got my letter to say I'd didn't make the cut but that I'm on a waiting list. Still have my fingers crossed but it's not looking good.
    That's a shame, fingers crossed for the second round. Somehow, I managed to get a place. I know it's just a certificate course, but I'm a wee bit chuffed about it. Now I have to decide if I go through with it - life, priorities, etc. AAARGH!!!
    But the news Grainne, is that the course is not just full, but they got so many applicants that they are running a second course, so you maybe on that.
    Really? Any idea how many applications there were? I think there are roughly 12 places in the course.

Let me know when you're starting, and I'll meet up with you for a coffee if you want.

You can embrace the art student life style :rolleyes:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Let me know when you're starting, and I'll meet up with you for a coffee if you want.

Do you think it'd be possible to defer a place in the course? New circumstances, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

I met with an artist friend of mine recently, she studied in Crawford in Cork years ago & is just back from abroad.. she's invited me to go searching through skips for "art material"... student/art life style just sounds like so much fun!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

I'd love to do a course too this year by night.. it's difficult to know which one to do though.

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Do you think it'd be possible to defer a place in the course? New circumstances, etc.
    In general the staff are usually pretty good about things like that, but I'm not familiar with the CEAD staff - I don't see why not though - They won't be out of cash as there'll be someone else to take your place, and it's an guaranteed placement for next time they run the course!
    YogiBear wrote: »
    I met with an artist friend of mine recently, she studied in Crawford in Cork years ago & is just back from abroad.. she's invited me to go searching through skips for "art material"... student/art life style just sounds like so much fun!! :D

Bloody sculpture students :p

For those interested in doing this course, I did manage to defer my place until next year. Hopefully, work-permitting, I'll be able to take it up. Although the administration in CEAD does seem flaky, they came through for me.

Good luck to anyone here who is taking the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Hi,

I meet a guy in Rua Red who had been on this course and said it was good if you are interested in the theory of cultural vision.
    Has anybody else got experience of this course? How did they get on?
    This course seems ideal for me as I don't want to spend months re-learning how f-stop, I am more interested in exploring the theory of why we take photos, etc.

Thanks
    Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Have you looked into Back to Education grants?

no go for gcd

Advertisement