Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fizzy drinks and gum disease

Options
  • 11-07-2008 2:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was recently sick and im not sure if it was related, but i got really bad gum disease and my gums were inflamed and tender were a few days.

Now i brush and rinse as recommended and floss occasionally too. I also chew gum on occasion after meals. I would consider myself to have good dental hygiene.

However recently i have start to drink alot more carbonated drinks than normal (all diet) and i was wondering if it was a coincidence.

Now I know fizzy drinks attack the teeth but has there been any studies done into the affect on gums?

Im not looking for medical advice on my particular illness btw. Im all better now! (almost!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Sick how? Vomiting? If so, I vomit a lot due to stomach problems and I have to rinse and gargle with milk afterwards, to neutralise the acid and not brush my teeth for about an hour. When I used to brush straight after being sick my gums/teeth were wrecked, despite having good dental hygiene. TBH all fizzy drinks are so acidic they're bound to cause some damage to your gums, maybe your immune system was down a bit so your gums were weak or something psuedo-scientific like that? :)

Advertisement