Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group Friendly

Options
  • 11-07-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to organise a weekend with some friends around the Surrounding Counties of Dublin.

Ideally we wanted to book a Hostel and book the whole thing out. The only thing we could find was Glenmallure Hostel in Wicklow but we can't have it to ourselves so it's no use.

We don;t want to go near the conventional Campsites as because there is 16 of us there is bound to be a bit of noise.

I'm considering takling them camping wild - I've plenty of experience between the army and scouts. But I'm just wondering about locations.

Alternatively if anyone knows of any hostels?
    Preferably out of the way. I've been trying to find the contact number for Becketsfield youth hostel for ages and can;t track it down. It would be ideal for this.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a brand new An Oige hostel recently opened at Knockree near Enniskerry on the Wicklow Way. Tel 01 276 7981. I've not been there but it sounds quite smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Paul S

Cheers Alun,
    Was actually already in touch with them. the only problem is that they have a curfew which we'd rather not be limited by.

I'm making this out that we're a right rowdy bunch - we're not at all. We just don;t want to be confined by those who would rather go to bed at 1 in the morning when there is still plenty of chatting and ridiculous conversations to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There's also the IMC hut in glendasan which you could book just for yourselves for the weekend. It's not hostel nice but it does have all the facilities. You'll need sleeping bags though and leave the place as you found it to get your deposit back.

Click here for details.

OK ... personally I'd consider 1am to be well past my bedtime, but there you go.

Anyway, this is a bit vague, but if you follow the Wicklow Gap road from Glendalough, down in the Glendasan Valley on your left hand side (on the route of St. Kevins Way) there are a couple of large houses on the opposite bank of the river that I think can be rented out. Certainly I've walked past them on a couple of occasions when they've been occupied by large groups, but I've no idea what the procedure is to book them. It's possible that if you go there there might be a sign with contact details, but that's as much as I know I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Paul S

Cheers guys - this is a huge help. And probably the kind of thing we're looking for. Something nice and basic!

We'll be out and about during the day and have a few things planned and the the area is perfect. Will try give them a ring and see what the situation is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

One of those houses would have been the MCI hut Alun. Its a bit basic but great craic for it.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    One of those houses would have been the MCI hut Alun. Its a bit basic but great craic for it.
    I thought the MCI hut was closer to the Wicklow Gap road than the ones I'm thinking of. These are right down in the bottom of the valley itself, on the other side of the river.

I've done some more Googling, and I think these might be what I'm thinking about ....

http://www.cyc.ie/content/view/23/36/

Not sure whether they'd be suitable now, going by the description.

Advertisement