Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to commute from Malahide to Sandyford

Options
  • 11-07-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a new job in Sandyford on Monday and I'm just wondering what people feel would be the best way to travel. As I look at it I've two options, public or private transport.

I've got my own car so driving is certainly an option. What is the M50 like these days? I know that south of the Blanchardstown exit it is three lans and reasonably free flowing, but before this? The time it would take obviously depends on my departure time. I suppose if I were to look to leave at about 0715 I should be there certainly before 0830 and for every two minutes I considered leaving after that I should probably put three minutes on my ETA.

Going across the east link or through town and out the Stillorgan dual carraigeway would probably be my preferred option if driving though. Leaving at 0715 the traffic into town would be reasonably light and I suppose the distance travelled would be actually less than the M50 so I'd be saving on petrol and road tolls (east link being €0.50 cheaper than west link and going through town is no toll). I'd still be looking at an hours commute in the car at least and still open to the varying congestion on our roads!

The other option I was looking at would be to take the DART to town and catch the LUAS. I could catch a DART at 0730 (leave my house around 0715) and then catch a LUAS from St. Stephen's Green around 0815 to be out in Sandyford around 0840. Does anybody know if you can buy combined tickets for DART/LUAS now and what they'd cost? A quick browse of the web and it's looking like around €125 a month.

Also I recall from a time that I was in college in Blackrock that there was a bus that ran from the DART station to Sandyford. Does anybody know what bus this is and if it is an efficient service?

I think this is all my possibilties really but if anyone can think of anything else that would make my commute a little more efficient I'd really appreciate it! I think I'll probably go with the DART/LUAS option as I can just read a book or something and also not have to fork out €€€ in petrol to contribute to climate change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Having done a similar run on occasions I would suggest public transport for your own sanity, although you might get away with a car for the summer. And as you said you'll get lots of reading done.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

driving via east link mightn't be too bad in the morning although i think you'd be surprised how heavy traffic is a 7.30m, but on the way back you could nearly double the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I'm starting a new job in Sandyford on Monday and I'm just wondering what people feel would be the best way to travel. As I look at it I've two options, public or private transport.

I've got my own car so driving is certainly an option. What is the M50 like these days? I know that south of the Blanchardstown exit it is three lans and reasonably free flowing, but before this? The time it would take obviously depends on my departure time. I suppose if I were to look to leave at about 0715 I should be there certainly before 0830 and for every two minutes I considered leaving after that I should probably put three minutes on my ETA.

Going across the east link or through town and out the Stillorgan dual carraigeway would probably be my preferred option if driving though. Leaving at 0715 the traffic into town would be reasonably light and I suppose the distance travelled would be actually less than the M50 so I'd be saving on petrol and road tolls (east link being €0.50 cheaper than west link and going through town is no toll). I'd still be looking at an hours commute in the car at least and still open to the varying congestion on our roads!

The other option I was looking at would be to take the DART to town and catch the LUAS. I could catch a DART at 0730 (leave my house around 0715) and then catch a LUAS from St. Stephen's Green around 0815 to be out in Sandyford around 0840. Does anybody know if you can buy combined tickets for DART/LUAS now and what they'd cost? A quick browse of the web and it's looking like around €125 a month.

Also I recall from a time that I was in college in Blackrock that there was a bus that ran from the DART station to Sandyford. Does anybody know what bus this is and if it is an efficient service?

I think this is all my possibilties really but if anyone can think of anything else that would make my commute a little more efficient I'd really appreciate it! I think I'll probably go with the DART/LUAS option as I can just read a book or something and also not have to fork out €€€ in petrol to contribute to climate change.

You've a few options:
    DART to Blackrock and 114 or 115 bus to Sandyford Industrial Estate. You can get a through ticket on the 114 as it is a DART Feeder bus. However, note that it operates every 30 minutes or so.

DART to Pearse, walk to St. Stephen's Green and LUAS to Sandyford Ind Estate.

DART to Pearse, walk to Nassau Street, and either the 5, 11, 46B or 116 bus to Sandyford Ind Estate. Note that there are limited frequencies - check the timetables at www.dublinbus.ie

Ticket options:

DART/Bus (Short Hop):
    Weekly - EUR 31.50
    Monthly - EUR 119.00

DART/LUAS:
    Weekly - EUR 34.00
    Monthly - EUR 125.00

DART/LUAS/BUS
    Monthly - EUR 152.00

The monthly tickets are available through the Taxsaver scheme also.

There may be a DART/Feeder bus weekly/monthly option - this was available previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Thanks for the replies folks. For Monday anyway I'm going to take the DART/LUAS approach I think. And if I drive any time soon it will be via east link. As was said with the summer traffic it shouldn't be too bad.

Does anybody take this 114 bus from Blackrock. How long does the journey take? I need to be getting off at the Stillorgan LUAS stop. Are these buses dependable? Seeing as they are only ever half hour, if one didn't turn up it'd be a nightmare!

I'm looking at moving to Ranelagh or somewhere in a couple of months which will make it a lot easier!

Advertisement