Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Sc. in Security and Forensic Computing

Options
  • 11-07-2008 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going back to college to do M.Sc. in Security and Forensic Computing in DCU. I currently work as a software developer.

http://www.computing.dcu.ie/prospective/postgraduate/forensic/index.html

Any opinions on the course? Full time or part time the best option?

How many hours a week in the part-time implementation?

Job prospects? Anyone done it before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DracusWolf

Hello,

I am starting this course in september, been working as an information analyst for the past year after college. I would be interested in anything anyone has too. I opted for the 1 year so i can concentrate on 1 thing at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Done it and used to tutor a few subjects. It's an ok course, but if you have a decent background in security/admin type work you might not find it the most challenging.

The crypto aspect is good and tough. Forensics is good, but there is not enough practical work. Network Security is weak. Well, it was when I did it, could be better now there is a new guy delivering the module.

Best bet is to have a good practicum idea and learn as much as you can from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

This course has been changed quiet a bit for 08/09 academic year. There will be less modules (thus less exams), but the modules will be bigger. In ECTS terms, they change from 5 to 7.5 credits – so no overall change in the course as a whole. Some modules have been merged and some are new. The new info. isn’t on the DCU CA website yet and probably wont be for a week or 2.
    IMHO, this is a positive development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DracusWolf

Change in my opinion is always good. I hope it points me in the right direction anyway. :)

Advertisement