Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1994 Penfolds Bin 389 - ready to drink?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I got my hands on a bottle of this tonight and I'm wondering if it would be best held for a couple of years? It is one of the better vintages in recent times and would certainly keep for at least another ten years I'd imagine but I'm interested in drinking it this weekend :D

Any thoughts? I've looked around the net but can't seem to find anything that will help me make up my mind.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Drink it and hopefully it won't disappoint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Might just do that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

wine is meant to be drunk so go for it!!! it looks like it's recommended to be drunk by 2011 if very well looked after so i would gladly drink it now to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Drink it.

Bin 389 is good-to-go even on release and Penfolds' own website doesn't even rate 1994 as a "classic" vintage ( www.penfolds.com/wines/bin/bin-389-cab-shiraz.asp ), so indicating earlier drinking. Decanter seems to disagree though and recommends keeping Aussie wines from that year ( http://www.decanter.com/vintageguides/index.php?ey=1994 ).

Either way, open it up, I'd say. I'm only 28 and even I don't keep anything in case I'm dead in a few years. 14 years is plenty of time for a wine to recover from shipping and to have the saucy astringency ironed out of it.

Advertisement