Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Great-grandfather passes test after 45 years with an L-plate

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭

\o/

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/greatgrandfather-passes-test-after-45-years-with-an-lplate-1430502.html
    Great-grandfather passes test after 45 years with an L-plate

Thursday July 10 2008

A PENSIONER who owned a provisional licence for 45 years was celebrating after finally passing his driving test.

Retired dock worker Kevin Daly (75), admitted he was thrilled when he passed his driving exam this week -- and was finally able to apply for his full driving licence.

It is believed that Mr Daly -- who has 20 grandchildren and seven great grandchildren -- was the longest-standing driver to have been driving using a provisional licence in the State.

The highlight of the entire event for Mr Daly was finally being able to tear up the L-plates which have been mounted on his car for decades.

"To be honest, I thought if I didn't pass this time then that would be the end of it," the great-grandfather from Cork city explained.

"But I was absolutely over the moon when I heard that I had passed -- it was a fantastic feeling," he said.

Mr Daly, who had failed several previous driving tests, was concerned that the introduction of tough new regulations for provisional licence holders would make it virtually impossible for him to secure a full licence.

But following his success, he is now encouraging other drivers on provisional licences to follow his example and sit tests.

- Ralph Riegel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

good for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

+2 fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how did he not get a license in the 1980 amnesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What are the bets that he finally passed it with SGS not the RSA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

loyatemu wrote: »
    how did he not get a license in the 1980 amnesty?

that crossed my mind too...too lazy to apply for a terst back then or out of the country perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

You weren't given the license in the amnesty, you had to apply for it.
    My mam had a provisional license back then but never applied.

Advertisement