Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fta whats the cheapest can i do it myself

Options
  • 10-07-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

FTA whats the cheapest option, lidl, maplin, etc and how long will it last.
    Will i be obsolete by mpeg4 etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

For satellite? The lidl would be a good option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Thats free once i get the dish box and remote right?
    I get all the channels for free?

Yes

You get BBC , ITV,c4,sky news, CNN, some entertainment and movies

Thats the job barnicles.
    Do you have this yourself and if so how much does it cost in lidl or maplin.
    And whats it actually called?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

You could get some decent prices online, and get a Freesat box while your at it. Auto channel updates, interactive features etc which you will not find on a standard FTA box.

Freesat has 7 day EPG which Fta boxes don't. You can get them in maplin. Just ask for freesat

So freesat is the way to go?
    Does it have all the channels free aswell?:)

Yes

Cheers for the advice lads much appreciated.
    Will post back how i get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

barnicles wrote: »
    Freesat has 7 day EPG which Fta boxes don't. You can get them in maplin. Just ask for freesat

do maplins sell actual "Freesat" boxes? they're certainly not listed on their website...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

loyatemu wrote: »
    do maplins sell actual "Freesat" boxes? they're certainly not listed on their website...

didnt think so, Shops in NI, or some online shops are the only places I've heard of people getting them.

oh, and if you have a hd tv, would be probably better off paying the extra for one of the HD freesat boxes.

you can download the astra channel list here, anything in the clear on 28" is what you'll pickup
    http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/channel-guide/index.php

and also, whats on eurobird 1 at 28" in the clear is what you can also get.

http://www.eutelsat.com/deploy_tvLineUp/struts/chooseLanguage.do?Langue=EN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Go to satellite.ie or other sellers and buy quality (triax etc) dishes and brackets as a year or 2 will play havoc with lidl dishes. Its not a lot more tbh

I only want the basic ,htv bbc, etc im not looking for anyhting fancy at all.
    Do lidl do them dishes still?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

you could always try adverts/buyandsell.

used stuff obviously, but you can get quite a bargain sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

conceited wrote: »

lidl did do the dish/receiver set just this monday the 7th.

Ignore

Sometimes

Ok lads i bought the dish down in midleton, cork lidl for 79 euros heading down to install it in my nans will post back later on.
    Thanks for all your help .

Its not the fancy etc I'm referring to, I only wanted bbc and itv too but got a cheap dish and it was constantly misaligning in the wind as the bracket and bolts were pure crap, ended up paying more in end to get a decent dish that hasn't rusted or moved in 2 years.

• Advertisement

I didn't mean it that way i just thought you where getting trigger happy and suggesting the best gear :)
    I'm going to put the dish on the ground someway.

If its on the ground, then lidl dish is grand. If your going fta like the rest of us, its all about getting the best value anyways!!! Best of luck with the project, takes patience but worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

The "floppy" dishes appear in Lidl stores as special offers from time to time. Check on the Lidl site each week for notification. They are usually sold out within hours on the day.

As stated above, they are rather crappy. Basically, you are paying for something which will last a year and a day.

Edit: oops, I just replied to the question on the first page!
    Well, you'll find out how long it lasts. (Probably until the next gale.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

There are guys selling used sky dish, lnb and receiver for peanuts on e-bay - £20 or something like that - if you really want bargain basement stuff.

Lidl's offer had dual lnb (2 outputs = 2 receivers, for multi-room viewing) which is good. If you want to run 2 TV's AND a recorder you need a quad lnb (4 outputs). This also can be ordered sperately on e-bay or from any sat shop.

Advertisement