Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in the US

Options
  • 10-07-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all seen something mentioned before about this,
    I'm thinking about buying a new laptop (macbook pro) and it seems when bought in the US it's considerably cheaper, even with student discount over here in Ireland it is €400 dearer then buying with no student discount in the US for the base model with no upgrades..

Has anyone done this before? I have afew friends living in the US this summer and I was thinking about asking them to get me one and bring it back with them when they return. However I'm aware that they may be stung for tax in customs but this can be avoided if the laptop is taken out of its packaging etc.? Does anyone know what the duties on this kind of thing would be anyway??

Any advice apprecited!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    As its a common enough thing to want to buy one cheaper over there I thought I would lay down some basic information regarding US Laptops. Feel free to add.

1. Power -
    Laptop AC Adapters (and most computer electronics) are rated to accept voltages between 100 - 240V. This will be written down as the Charger's Input Range on it's label/plug. In order to use the charger over here you need either a) A UK version of your charger's AC cord (available from your manufacturer) or b) A simple pin converter such as that shown here. These are available widely in most electronics shops in Ireland and cost €5-10.

Incidentally this also means you can use your laptop just about anywhere on the planet you can find a wall socket. Great for traveling.

2. Customs -
    There are NO SPECIAL CHARGES for bringing a laptop through customs. It doesn't matter if its in a box, in a bag, or if you have 2 or more. It is just another item that falls under generic Custom Laws and would be looked on no more poorly than a box of cigarettes.

3. TSA -
    The Transportation Security Agency advises that any spare batteries that are not plugged into the Laptop for the duration of your journey must be part of your checked luggage. No loose spare laptop batteries are permitted in your carry on luggage. This is due to a security risk identified by the exposed metal contacts and the Lithium-Ion nature of the battery.

During X-Ray screening laptops must be placed in a seperate container from all of your other posessions and screened sperately. The X-Ray scan will not cause harm to your computer but it is still advised to shut off your laptop or leave it in sleep/standby mode for the scan.

With regard to the actual rigors of flight and potential harm to your laptop - you truly have little to worry about outside of the norm. Laptops were born for flying businessmen, and are hardly the delicate flowers the price-tag might suggest: they are built to take a few good hits. It will be safe to pack one in your check-in luggage, and safe to carry-on the plane, without risk of damage (unless you happen to spill your choice of coffe/tea/chicken/beef all over it, but thats entirely your fault).

4. Warranty and Customer Support -
    This depends on your Vendor. It is recommended you buy direct from the manufacturer's website, rather than making your final purchase at a retail vendor such as Best Buy or Circuit City (though these stores are very good for window shopping at); for one retail is more expensive; for another if you have an issue with your computer you may have to take it back to the retailer, not the manufacturer in that case. Some brands may deal in direct-to-manufacturer service.

Most online purchases within the Continental United States in my experience take between 2-7 days to deliver, but can depend on availability. Ensure you have ample time and a stable 'address' to receive it. If you are uncomfortable with this option by all means go to a vendor but ask firstly about your warranty and support.

With regard to support when you return to Ireland all major vendors (Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer) will typically have coverage available. Remind me to confirm/compile a complete list later.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56018661&postcount=8

writing that post is turning out to be the best thing i ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Thanks Overheal!

So basically I could get someone to buy it in the US and bring it home in a sealed box in their handluggage and there would be no charge or problems bringing it through customs/the airport at all?

That sounds brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yep yep. bring it anyway you like; boxed opened or otherwise :)

Advertisement