Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts

Options
  • 10-07-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

If I accept a teaching job on the phone, but get an offer of a job that I would rather take a week later, what is the situation as regards rejecting the first offer? I understand that once a contract is signed, it's pretty much a done deal, but am not sure what the situation is with regards an oral agreement.

I would be an idiot to reject the first job as it is a good job and I am by no means guaranteed the second job, which I would prefer, but I would like to be prepared.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't want to make any mistakes here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Oral contract has no binding - you can take second job and there will be no repercussions -happens alll the time in August.

Give the first school as much notice a possible to allow them secure a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Great. Hopefully all will work out well and I will get the second job. If not, the first job is great too!

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 corkonian1

J.R. wrote: »
    Oral contract has no binding - you can take second job and there will be no repercussions -happens alll the time in August.
    Would you be concerned about getting a rep for dishonouring an agreement or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

corkonian1 wrote: »
    Would you be concerned about getting a rep for dishonouring an agreement or something?

not sure what you mean - I am by no means condoning the practice but that's life!

Many school principals who have advertised & filled temporary posts in July get a call in late August from candidate stating they have now got a permanent post & are taking it.....many continue to attend interviews, having secured a temporary job in the hope of getting a permanent job - if they are successful they accept the permanent job.

Very annoying but not much the principal can do in reality.....class need a teacher in 7 - 10 days....so interviews for replacement are put in place ....that's why many ads state a panel will be set up from applications for next 4 months.

What many do not realise, especially in a school that has numbers dropping, is that if a teacher is to be let go ....on the panel.....then it's the last permanent teacher in that goes.

A Permanent & Temporary teacher could start working in a school on the same day .....numbers drop at end of year....permanent goes & temporary stays, if there is work for the temporary teacher the following year!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Well I took the first job anyway! Permanent job based on my first ever interview, couldn't turn that down! Had to sign there and then anyway. Thanks for the advice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Congrats Janey..best of luck with it all!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

janeybabe wrote: »
    Permanent job based on my first ever interview, couldn't turn that down!.

How utterly spawny (lucky) is that! I am green! Nice break, good luck to you and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Hi quick question, I have just done a string of interviews and have been offered two positions-one in English for 11 hours and one for a maternity cover in school guidance starting from november, not sure which would be the better option to take?

Am I better doing less hours in English or taking the maternity which will be more hours but wont start until November? (not getting paid in summer presumably if I start the maternity cover in November). Also in terms of the subject area, which would be the best to get a start in? English or guidance. This will be my first teaching job apart from my dip practice.

It may also be important to note that Out of the fifty applications I have sent off, all the interviews I have been called for have been for guidance or English and guidance, not English solely.

I need advice on this one please

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I would go with your own 11 hours in English as opposed to a maternity leave in guidance.
    Your own hours is a foot on the ladder and you could possibly get subbing on top and an increase of hours next year.
    A maternity leave is not your job at the end of the day and when the contract is up, you're starting all over.
    I would also imagine that there are more job opportunities I with English as opposed to guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I would go with your own 11 hours in English as opposed to a maternity leave in guidance.
    Your own hours is a foot on the ladder and you could possibly get subbing on top and an increase of hours next year.
    A maternity leave is not your job at the end of the day and when the contract is up, you're starting all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Yes I have accepted both offers (thinking the English post is probably the better option alright, I believe its fixed term but it is probably more secure than the maternity, as you said, foot on the ladder I guess...). Also, I seem to have been called for interviews because of my guidance and not my English which leads me to believe that getting some experience with the English might stand to me more than guidance as I seem to be getting interviews with little experience other than my placement.

Advertisement