Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Vostro 1310

Options
  • 10-07-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy one of these

spec is
    CPU unsure of
    2gig ram
    160gig hdd
    128mb ATI graphics
    slot load dvd rw +-
    13.3 xga truelife screen
    6 cell bat 54wrkhr

not sure if ive left anything out its coming in at 513 with the intel celeron 2.0ghz proccessor and 594 with intel core duo 1.8ghz so im not sure whats the better option in my head im thinking the core duo but is the 80euro worth it?

Anyone else experienced these laptops they seem very small and neat which is kinda what im looking for i have a inspiron 1501 at the mo which is basic but performance is fine im just not sure if its worth the change

any advice on the processor and any experience with these laptops?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are you sure that ATI graphics are an option on that laptop? I'm nearly sure it is the nVidia 8400m gs.

I wouldnt bother with that. I have it in my 1400. You can play source based games but not much else at decent settings. You will also save around €90, and get better battery life by getting the integrated gfx card

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I have a Vostro 1000, which is the 15.4" model. It's bulky (in every dimension) enough but I'd imagine the 1310 is far more portable.

As a machine it's very straight forward and very reliable. I did have trouble with my power adaptor but once I called Dell it was resolved and replaced within a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Ok noted that the nvidia graphics arent great can anyone comment on the built in graphics though and are they going to use much system memory and will they run programs like autocad?

After reducing the spec its looking like €443

Any comments on this

I mainly use it for web browsing presentation office stuff maybe a bit of autocad and other programs but i cant see the graphics effecting any of these just ram and processor do you think the celeron 2ghz will cope??

BASE Intel® Celeron® Processor 550 (2.0 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® Vista™ Home Basic with Service Pack 1 - English edit
    SUPPORT SERVICES 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day Onsite - No Upgrade Selected edit
    LCD 13.3" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™ edit
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Glossy Black without Camera edit
    MEMORY 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel edit
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD IntelJ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 edit
    POWER SUPPLY 65W AC Adaptor (3 Wire) edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell 58 WHr Lithium Ion battery edit
    Services & Software
    MOBILITY Declined CompleteCare edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection edit
    Accessories
    MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English edit
    CARRY CASES No Carrying Case edit
    BLUETOOTH Dell™ Wireless 360 Bluetooth® Module edit
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell™ Wireless 1395 (802.11 b/g) MiniPCI Card - Celeron Processors edit
    Also included with your system
    Gedis Bundle Reference N0713102A
    Order Information Vostro Laptop 1310 Order - Ireland
    Biometric Identification No Biometric Fingerprint Reader
    Shipping Documents English - Documentation Vostro Laptop
    Dell System Media Kit V1310 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
    Cables 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
    Keyboard Internal Keyboard - English (QWERTY)
    Standard Warranty 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day

2483186165_7247239310.jpg?v=0

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'd get the better processor. You get more cache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I would suggest upgrading the processor in that, to at least one of the basic dual-cores. Vista can be a sluggish OS with a slow processor, and doubly so if you're going to be doing stuff like CAD.

If you have any budget left over, you may want to consider upgrading to a dedicated graphics card.

• Advertisement

Ok im just wondering how much the processor will effect me cad i do very little of its just in college when i have a few drawings to do but to general stuff like firefox browsing and office 2007 run in vista and power dvd and other stuff like that will it make much of a difference??

Also how much of a difference is the graphics card likely to make? again with the above programs

Thanks for the replies.

I would suggest getting a better processor regardless of the CAD usage. Vista (the OS) just performs sluggishly with low-end processors. The €80 or whatever to go from the Celeron to the basic Core2Duo might sound like a lot, but in my opinion it's a worthwhile upgrade. You'll really notice the performance difference.

The graphics card shouldn't make any difference to regular computing (internet etc). The X3100 is a pretty good card in that respect.

ok cheers mate just one last question the XP option offered is vista downgraded to xp whats this

Would i incounter any problems wiping vista and putting xp unto it?

ok cheers mate just one last question the XP option offered is vista downgraded to xp whats this

Would i incounter any problems wiping vista and putting xp unto it?

When you choose that option, the laptop comes with XP installed, and you get discs to put Vista on it should you choose to in the future. You pay for it obviously.

Advertisement