Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two teachers on youtube

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,

I found these videos om youtube, and wanted to share them:

First from the Tibetan Tradition - one of my my fav Buddhist teachers, Pema Chödrön about why she became a Buddhist:

Why I became a Buddhist

- by the way I am actually very interested in why you people here became Buddhists (those of you who see yourself as Buddhists, that is)

Also here is a very interesting approach to troublesome people that I found very helpful the other day:

Troublemakers

Also I found this teacher - Eckhardt Tolle - and I don't know if he's a Buddhist or not and I started looking at the video firstly because I thought he looked kind of funny when he spoke - very different from most people I have met or other "spiritual teachers" that I have seen, but then it was like something "came across" to from the little man in the video - this silence or stillness - and I became very impressed that he could communicate this even on a video, I don't know if you'll agree with me:

On Being Yourself

and, where he talks about the gaps between the words:

The Deepest Truth of Human Existence

I hope you're all enjoying summer! :)

Love,

Maitri

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hi Maitri,
    Long time, nice to see you back. Very interesting videos, thank you.
    As to your question. I was very impressed by Buddhists I met here in Japan and the way they seemed to be more aware of life around them and very composed in their dealings with others. I came to Japan as a fallen catholic full of guilt and through these people I met I learned to understand myself and the world around me in a guilt-free way. In particular, I learned to deal in a much more open and compassionate manner with others around me. I came to realize that any suffering I was undergoing was caused by my own hands, and most importantly, I learned how to change these sufferings by changing myself. That is, there was no God that I had to appeal to, rather I had to look inward and change the parts of me that caused these sufferings. I also felt a great affinity with the concept of Karma. Once I began to understand what Karma was, I realized that I did indeed have the power within me to effect change by myself without needing to rely on some external source that I had to petition to change it for me. It was all up to me.
    So I guess in a nut shell, I really liked, or should I say began to understand, the concept of taking responsibility and effecting change through my own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Hi! Thanks for nice answer:)

If I understand you correctly you sought for the qualities of openness and compassion - and autonomy: to start taking responsibility for your own actions, (which BTW IMO is the only way to be free in this world). And you found your "gate" to all this in Buddhism.

I find your answer very interesting, as I really can't se anything especially "religious" in it. I guess the qualities you describe could be found "outside Buddhism" as well (though you of course found them in the meeting with Buddhists and Buddhist teachings)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

maitri wrote: »
    Hi! Thanks for nice answer:)

If I understand you correctly you sought for the qualities of openness and compassion - and autonomy: to start taking responsibility for your own actions, (which BTW IMO is the only way to be free in this world). And you found your "gate" to all this in Buddhism.

I find your answer very interesting, as I really can't se anything especially "religious" in it. I guess the qualities you describe could be found "outside Buddhism" as well (though you of course found them in the meeting with Buddhists and Buddhist teachings)?

Exactly. I found my gate as you say. Anything resembling religious in it for me would only be from a ritualistic or traditional sense. I see no gods to worship or or appeal to. When I do pray (for want of a better word) I would be verbally giving my thanks to the original Buddha, paying my respect to my teachers, confirming my dedication to my path and seeking to connect to and obtain the protection of the Bodhisattvas of the earth. This is not religious, but could be classified as spiritual. I am sure there are many paths that could be chosen that will bring the same results to the individual. Buddhism is not some special club to which I am a member. It is the correct method for me to connect with myself, and to better understand the world I live in and the people that populate it. It is immaterial to me whither a person is Taoist, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Agnostic, Pagan or any other path. For me it always comes down to the person; how they live their life, if they create value, are they helping their fellow man.
    I am happy, not perfect, just happy and learning.

Oppps:o... it seems I put the wrong link in "Troublemakers". Here is the riht link.

Thanks for the thanks Jon:)

Asia, you make an interesting - and I believe important - distinction between religion and spirituality.
    I believe that even people who are not religious and who do not feel at home in a religious context still may have spiritual needs - which I believe has do do with the need to really get to know ourself, on a deep level, and to feel at home in ourself and in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I found these videos om youtube

Fruedean slip maybe? :D;)

• Advertisement

Jon wrote: »
    Fruedean slip maybe? :D;)

LOL! :D:p

Advertisement