Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wood stove compatibility with MHRV

Options
  • 10-07-2008 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am planning to install MHRV and a wood stove in a new build, but have recently been told that most wood stoves don't work properly when MHRV is installed, as the air draw needed by a stove isn't provided by the mechanical ventilation system & smoke is drawn into the room rather than up the flue. Is this true? Does anyone with MHRV and a wood stove installed notice any problems with their stove?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We have a small stove the Morso Squirrel and a MHVR system.
    We used it last winter and noticed no problems with it due to the HRV.
    Sometimes the stove would puff a little smoke if it wasn't allowed to breathe as it was started but thats not the HRV more operator error:D
    What type of construction and what size stove are you planning?
    A large stove may require more air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 links22

Thanks CJHaughey. I'm going for masonry construction. I haven't sized a stove yet, but expect I'll need something mid-range - its for a large room 4.5x7m, but only to help the underfloor heating in winter. It would be frustrating for MHRV and a wood stove to conflict, so would be good to hear if anyone had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

get a stove that be supplied with combustion air from the external, some on the market pm for the name of a supplier. make sure it is installed correctly and airtightness is not affected

Advertisement