Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating a rent decrease

Options
  • 10-07-2008 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Lease expiring end of August and I'm going to demand a rent drop as the gaff we're renting is now above fair market rate.

It's a 3-bed house in Clontarf and we're paying about €200-€300 too much based on other houses in the estate that are up on daft. I actually think I could bargain down even further cos one of the houses for rent has been on the market for about 6 weeks now.

What's the best way to approach the landlord? I've prepared a letter for him outlining the position and included the daft print-outs which I'm hoping to give to him on Friday. I mean, it would just require us moving all our stuff across the road and I could do with a clean out anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Have a look at th rentals section of Irish Property Watch
    http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/rentalsSearch.php

It will show you what is for rent in your area on daft, hoe long it has been for rent and how much the rents have been decreased. This will help prove to the landlord that you are overpaying. Also, be sure to pay attention to the rent on places that are no longer being advertised as these will be closer to the "achieved rent" than an overpriced place that has been on the market for months.

Advertisement