Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eaten Alive in Oak Park

Options
  • 10-07-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

Do not go walking in Oak Park at the moment. It is dangerous, I went out for a walk yesterday morning, and ended up with about 15 mosquitoes (I presume) bites. My legs, arms & neck are badly bitten.

Be careful there at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Same last year, big oversight on the Council's part, not saying they can fix it but they should have thought about the issue before they went and setup walks etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*warning, if you go outside you might encounter nature*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

it wouldn't be possible to fix the problem would it. The Monty Python sketch is coming into my head of the mosquito hunters though:D:D:D

They really could do with some warning signs though, it is severe out there

*warning, if you go outside you might encounter nature*
    I don't know where you live but I can assure the ammount of mosquitoes in Oak Park is not normal nature, I live in a rural area and I when I was younger I spent most summers walking through fields and forests and I have never seen anything like the problem in Oak Park.

Its due to stagnant water and the fact that the area's where the trails are hadn't been disturbed in years, it was the main front page headline on the Nationalist last summer.

Villian is right - a lot of people ended in in Kilkenny hospital because of the number of bites & reactions to them.

I was in the sun for two weeks, in a mosquito area, I was bitten worse in ten minutes in Oak Park than two weeks in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tesco in Carlow sell insect repellant, it works well. If you have reactions, you can get steroid cream over the counter in any pharmacist to bring down allergic reactions (used both, and both work).

It's July, there's a lake in Oak Park, and it's humid. You're going to get midges.

Of course you are but have you been there? The ammount of them is unreal.

They are not midges, they are mosquitoes (in Ireland????).

The place is a health risk, I didn't realize how bad it was, last year I avoided it. I won't be setting foot in it again until October or November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Mozzies, Midges may be an irritant, at least here we don't get Malaria from them...

mire up on anti midge/mosquito stuff & forget about it.

Minor detail IMHO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

its exactly the same along the barrow track with midges etc. the earth is polluted enough without trying to erradicate one of the lower creatures on the food pyramid! without them everything else would not exist!

• Advertisement
Advertisement