Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky-FTA?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all looking for some help i am thinking of getting rid of my sky+ subscription and getting a FTA receiver cut backs nd all:mad: will the dish for sky and the cable work if i just change the sky+ box for the FTA box and what FTA box do you think is best and prices, or will the sky+ box do it anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 JayWasTaken

You can use your standard sky+ box as a FTA receiver simply by removing the sky viewing card. This will allow you to veiw any unscrambled sat channels but you will have to flick through dozens of scrambled channels to find them.

This will also disable the pvr functions which i think are a tenner a month.

(Which btw is ridiculous, the cheeky buggers are charging everyone to unlock the full functionality of a box the they have already paid for!:mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭emaherx

You can use your standard sky+ box as a FTA receiver simply by removing the sky viewing card. This will allow you to veiw any unscrambled sat channels but you will have to flick through dozens of scrambled channels to find them.

Just add FTA channels to Favourites. Channel 4 will need to be tuned in manually and viewd through other channels though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

Surely if you leave your expired Sky card in the slot, you will still get CH4 in the EPG as normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Surely if you leave your expired Sky card in the slot, you will still get CH4 in the EPG as normal?

Channel 4 is only available with a subscription in Ireland though as already been said it can be tuned into other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wallyhering

thank you all for your help !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I changed my Irish EPG to an English EPG and all available freeview channels appear in the epg i.e ITV1/2/3/4 etc. It's alot hander than the other channels method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

tomslick wrote: »
    I changed my Irish EPG to an English EPG and all available freeview channels appear in the epg i.e ITV1/2/3/4 etc. It's alot hander than the other channels method.

I agree with tomslick changing to the UK epg would be a good option but you will still have to tune in channel 4 through other channels.To do this go to sky news, press the red button for interactive and when the multi screen comes up remove the sky card. Press back up then TV guide and you should have the UK epg. Only channel you'll lose is setanta sports news far as I know. To go back to the Irish epg simply put the card back in.

Otherwise if you can get your hands on a uk ftv card it will give you the UK epg with channel 4 on it plus you'll also get channel 5, fiver etc and Sky 3.

Advertisement