Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

301 redirect from .com to .ie

Options
  • 09-07-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

'lo folks, bit of a query for the SEO guys....

We ran our new website at a .com address for it's first couple of weeks. Couple of links about the place but certainly didn't go mad with it. This got indexed by Google okay and fairly soon was turning up in (very specific) searches.

Then, before doing too much with the site, decided highlighting the .ie was the better option. Set up a .htaccess which 301 redirects everything else (we've got the .com, .net, .org, etc.) to the .ie

Also submitted a sitemap to Google's Webmaster Tools.

That was about a week ago (little over maybe) and after a few days Webmaster Tools informed me that the site (.ie) was in the index. But searching still returns the .com, and only the .com. Same old listing. In the past couple of days it's actually slipped further down the results... while still no sign of .ie.

Anyone want to put my mind at ease and tell me I'm just being dreadfully impatient? :) ....or does it sound like I've actually done something wrong?

Webmaster Tools doesn't report any errors in diagnostics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I've been told in the past that where you have a number of domains all pointing to the same place - Google will only index one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

di11on wrote: »
    I've been told in the past that where you have a number of domains all pointing to the same place - Google will only index one of them.

That's the result I'm after. I only want the .ie to be indexed. The 301's should tell Google that all others have been 'permanently moved' to .ie (shouldn't they?)

The .ie address does seem to be indexed now anyway... but the .com is also there. And both are much further down the search results (even when searching very specifically for the name of the site) than they used to be a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sure things will improve once we start pushing the site a bit more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

I wouldn't worry about it. Just give it a bit of time to sort itself out. If you want post up the 301 redirect code and i'll have a look and also the site domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I switched a site from a com to an ie lately as well too. I left the com and the ie going as the com had good ratings - a bad idea I now know. What happened was the ie didnt get indexed at all (over a period of 8 weeks or so) despite robots.txt, sitemap and all the tweaking google webmaster tools could get me.

When I took the plunge and set up the redirect (complete with sitemap of the redirected urls), the .ie got indexed pretty quickly though I'm still seeing the .com when I search for the terms I optimised. I'm hoping this will change gradually, as the switch was for SEO in the first place.

Advertisement