Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

???TV license for just freesat???

Options
  • 09-07-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Right I canceled my NTL subscription and I don't have a terrestrial aerial. I wanted to go down the freesat route with a dvb-s2 card and a media centre.

I got a letter in the post the other day about re-newing my TV license and I though:

Hold on a minute. RTE 1 and 2 are not on freeview so why do I have to pay if I can't watch them??

can anyone shed any light on the legality of my argument?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

A tv licence is payable where you have a tv. Its not really a matter of whether or not you have RTE1 & 2.

From an post: Under the current Wireless Telegraphy Legislation it is a prosecutable offence to be found in possession of an unlicensed television set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

TV Licences are a joke!! If you have a TV you gotta have one, even if you can't receive RTE!

Is it true that if you have a projector you don't need one??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Your licence isn't for the Tv exactly, its for the tuner in the TV. Thats why you don't need a licence for a projector.

I think you've raised an interesting point there mediacentre.
    If you don't have any equipment capable of receiving RTE, then should you have to pay a TV licence? I should think not.
    But do you have to pay? I think you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭mediacentre.ie

that is a joke. so I pay RTE 160 pa for the privilege of there services that I can't even get?? it doesn't make sense.

I would rather pay the BBC my license fee. At least they have decent programming and HD.

Your licence isn't for the Tv exactly, its for the tuner in the TV. Thats why you don't need a licence for a projector.

I think you've raised an interesting point there mediacentre.
    If you don't have any equipment capable of receiving RTE, then should you have to pay a TV licence? I should think not.
    But do you have to pay? I think you do!

interesting? how do you expalin that to án post? I'm sure it would have to go to court before they realised that fact. I'm sure it will come up in the future as more and more people move to freesat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, as it stands, if you've an apparatus capable of receiving RTE or any TV channels, then you pay. Whether you watch RTE or not is up to you.

well a DVB-S2 tuner cannot receive RTE1 or 2 but obviously can receive other channels.

so you say it doesn't make a difference if I can receive RTE or not.

I have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yes, of course you do. You have a tv tuner card which falls under the need of the tv license. It is a load of toss but there you go.

but that tuner card cannot not receive RTE because RTE don't provide a free sat service?

Is there a website with irish legislation to read up on these kind of things?

I'm going to investigate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Investigate what exactly? If you have a tv tuner you pay the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I read something a while back about the Germans dropping the TV license and moving to an annual computer license - I guess a lot of Germans are watching TV on their PCs and trying to get away without a license too..

Isn't it obvious? I want to find out why you should pay the state broadcaster for a piece of equipment incapable of receiving their broadcasts.
    Surely the laws in relation to TV licences haven't changed in years yet the technology has. I'm going to speak to a solicitor friend of mine and ask his opinion, thats all.

It is capable of receiving their broadcast if you want to get into the nitty gritty tech details. Using a cardreader hooked up to your pc and using your sky card in it and appropiate software you will be able to view rte via your dvb card in your pc.

I'm going to speak to a solicitor friend of mine and ask his opinion, thats all.

Wasting your time and his imo.

that is if you buy the CI for the CAM and subscription card. this is totally separate equipment.

If you just have a DVB-S card with no CI it is impossible to receive RTE.

FACT

artvandulet I like your train of thought.

Save your time contacting your lawyer friend you will be better off contacting him if you end up going to court over the fine for the license. The law is an ass but it is the way it is. It doesnt matter a fiddlers if you have no aerial, no dish no anything if you have a tv or a device with a tuner in it for tv signals then you need a license.

Thank you for that input Mossy.;)

Ronan/Raven
    Using a cardreader hooked up to your pc and using your sky card in it and appropiate software you will be able to view rte via your dvb card in your pc.
    I don't think its so cut and dry. Here is a quote from Citizens Information on TV Licenses:
    "You do not require a television license to watch television on your computer or mobile phone."
    So does that mean if I have a tuner card in my PC to watch TV I don't need a license?

Interestingly, it also states that the TV in your house doesn't have to be working to require you to have a license. If you have a broken old TV in your attic and none else, you need a license! It's ridiculous. And to top it all off, it pays Pat Kenny over half a million a year. I'm bitter I tells ya!:D

byte

What is your HTPC connected to for viewing?

Save your time contacting your lawyer friend you will be better off contacting him if you end up going to court over the fine for the license. The law is an ass but it is the way it is.

First off, I'll just be chatting over a pint as he's a mate I see regularly. I'm not talking about a sit down meeting here.

It doesnt matter a fiddlers if you have no aerial, no dish no anything if you have a tv or a device with a tuner in it for tv signals then you need a license.
    Secondly, does that quote I included in the previous post not pose questions?

• Advertisement

Interestingly, it also states that the TV in your house doesn't have to be working to require you to have a license. If you have a broken old TV in your attic and none else, you need a license! It's ridiculous.

Yes, if there is a tv tuner in your home you need a licence. There is no other way of saying it.

So what if I have a monitor and a pc with a tuner card, no TV?

pat kenny you swine!

to pose another interesting question.

IPTV

the law will have to deal with this fact soon. I could use a media centre with a 30" monitor and no tuner equipment anywhere in my home to watch TV.

From what you are saying TV= license even if you don't have electricity to watch it on.

From what you are saying TV= license even if you don't have electricity to watch it on.

Yes.

byte

Don't think there's much more that can be answered here, and it's not really the right place...

I'd suggest a thread in Legal Discussion forum, though it's probably been done to death there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement