Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice of software

Options
  • 09-07-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I've just started using Gimp (as I have both a linux machine and PC and thought it would be easier to learn just one package). I've seen friends using both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, and have heard mention of a few other software packages on this board as well.

One of the things I like best about Gimp is that it's free. Has anyone used a wide variety of packages, and if so, how do they compare?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Now I downloaded the Gimp and I try out. Maybe in the near future I can give you pros and cons (but I think so the Adobe CS3 better, for this reason using the profs on Mac)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

After the new install I findet why I not will to use: It's can't to open/import the RAW files and haven't "save for web" option which is very useful tool. Thats enough for me as cons. For a quick check I use the IrfanView.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Maybe don't dismiss quite so quick. It sure ain't photoshop but its very good all the same. It can save you a load of money if it serves your needs. In my humble opinion, unless you are mega into graphic design it will have everything available in it or that will plug in to it that you may need.

If you want to work with RAW files, simply download the UFRAW plug in - like the gimp, its free.

Hmnnnn.... save to web - i'm not a photoshop head so i'm only guessing that this functionality minimises file size while balancing quality. There is a gimp plug in (again free) that does this kind of functionality. You'll find it at the gimp plugin registry http://registry.gimp.org/node/33

Then if you fancy it looking a little more like photoshop (note: i said "like" - not exactly the same), you can go for Gimpshop, which reconfigures the menu system and gimp behavior to mimic the look and feel of Photoshop.

The gimp is extremely extensible - give it the space and a little time of you using it. Research (google) anything you can't find. I'd be very surprised if you find something that can't be accomplished in it. Granted my own uses of it are limited, but i have found it is very functional, really stable, multi platform, (i use on both linux and vista) and importantly it is free.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Maybe don't dismiss quite so quick. It sure ain't photoshop but its very good all the same. It can save you a load of money if it serves your needs. In my humble opinion, unless you are mega into graphic design it will have everything available in it or that will plug in to it that you may need.

If you want to work with RAW files, simply download the UFRAW plug in - like the gimp, its free.

Hmnnnn.... save to web - i'm not a photoshop head so i'm only guessing that this functionality minimises file size while balancing quality. There is a gimp plug in (again free) that does this kind of functionality. You'll find it at the gimp plugin registry http://registry.gimp.org/node/33

Then if you fancy it looking a little more like photoshop (note: i said "like" - not exactly the same), you can go for Gimpshop, which reconfigures the menu system and gimp behavior to mimic the look and feel of Photoshop.

The gimp is extremely extensible - give it the space and a little time of you using it. Research (google) anything you can't find. I'd be very surprised if you find something that can't be accomplished in it. Granted my own uses of it are limited, but i have found it is very functional, really stable, multi platform, (i use on both linux and vista) and importantly it is free.

Hope this helps.

I hve to agree, Gimp in the right hands(not mine) can produce fantastic results and should not be written off !

Advertisement