Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communal Dish help

Options
  • 09-07-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to install a communal dish system into a block of 12 apartments. The place is destroyed with dishs all over it, some of them are not even been used.

Problem is, there is 5 different nationalities living in it. The maximum im going to do is install a 4 dish, 1 terrestrial system into it. We will be routing Chours through the terrestrial feed.

All the tenenants werent there to tell me what they all were subscribing to and some didnt even know what they were watching.

From what I can see on the outside there is dishs pointed for Astra 19, 28.2, Hotbird 13, and Sirius 5. The Sirius 5 one is confusing me as there is two lnb's on the end of the dish and im not sure which other lnb it is picking up. See below and see what you think.

The different nationalities there are Irish, Czech, Turkish, lithuanian & Polish.The Lithuanians as far as I know only use the internet to view their national stations and currently dont have any satellite equipment installed.

Would I be ok to install a system which would bring in Astra 19, 28.2, Hotbird and Sirius 5 for the above nationalities or would I need more feeds coming in>

Also what other satellite could the dish below be bringing in other than Sirius 5?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What orbital position is Sirius 5? All I can see from Lyngsat is Sirius 4 at 4.8°E

Do you know which of the LNB's is the one on Sirius, that way it'll be easier to figure what the other one is (assuming Sirius 4, maybe 9° of seperation for Hotbird?). If it's the central LNB that's Sirius, then the other will of course be on a bird further East.

You seem to be doing quite a complex job for just 12 apts. Will you be using seperate dishes, or something like a toroidal dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

The tenant had a Technomate reciever and I just went into the installation menu. It said Sirius 5 as the satellite it was fixed to. I have no idea which lnb is theres, there was just wires everywhere, a total mess.

I was gonna stick up 4dishs on the back on gable brackets. 1 for Astra 19, 1 for Astra 28, 1 for Hotbird and one more for Sirius 5 and just connect them into a multiswitch. What ever the other lnb is picking up, there just gonna have to do without it and settle for one of the above 4.

I know some tenants are subscribed to cyfra+ and Nova if thats any help?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OK. Both Nova and Cyfra+ are on Hotbird.

To save some work, you could use one dish to receive both Hotbird and Astra 1 on a multi-LNB arm and two quattros. Though, I suppose having them all seperate might be more reliable, and easier pinpointing a problem later on.

I don't think many apartment blocks can boast being able to receive two different birds, so this one will be a bit special, having 4 birds catered for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

byte wrote: »
    OK. Both Nova and Cyfra+ are on Hotbird.

To save some work, you could use one dish to receive both Hotbird and Astra 1 on a multi-LNB arm and two quattros. Though, I suppose having them all seperate might be more reliable, and easier pinpointing a problem later on.

I don't think many apartment blocks can boast being able to receive two different birds, so this one will be a bit special, having 4 birds catered for!

Yes I think it would be best to have 4 seperate dishes for problems afterwords.

Its a sign of the times i suppose with all the different nationalaties living in Ireland now that every different culture has its own needs. Probably see a lot more of this going on in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I'm going for Thor 1W. It has hungarian/romanian/czech and slovakian. Also there is a chance there is 16.0e there as well. Bulgarians use this and is quite popular. Cyfra+ is on 19e also but the cards are only valid on the satellite there are issued.

• Advertisement
Advertisement