Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two new televisions

Options
  • 09-07-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for two new tv's for family house.

TV#1
    For kitchen
    About 20inch in size.
    Slim line.
    Good viewing angles.
    Ideally not hugely cropped.
    Handy to get wall hang.
    Good SD picture quality.
    Not pushed re: HD quality.
    The mother wants a tv with radio on it -now I understand you can get radio on sky digital and ntl digital. Thing is, she doesn't want the digiboxes sitting under it. Very particular she is. Therefore any tv's with tuners built in? Or anyway to get digital tv without having to have a big tuner box beside it - and don't fancy running a cable into the kitchen.

TV#2
    For study/computer room. Ideally 26-28inch, although 30-32 if excellent value.
    Good quality tv. Good build and good looks. Ideally slim enough and good viewing angles - but not as necessary as kitchen tv.
    Stand needed, it has a wooden table to go on, so something to keep it vertical that is neat and tidy.
    I suppose it doesn't need to be Full HD.
    Not serious tv or audio philes but good looks, good quality and does the job.

Price wise, looking for good value, but does not to be as cheap as chips. IE. prefer to pay 50-100 extra to secure better quality and looks.

No problem buying online.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Try Komplett.ie or Richersounds - I've just bought a Samsung 46 in series 6 model (full 1080p hd) from R'sounds at a price of €1,380 where powercity and DID were asking €2,000.

I'd buy Samsung as they are as good as Sony but you're not paying for the Sony brandname. Philips tvs tend to be cheaper but I've 2 Philips crt tvs at home and they both gave trouble after 2 -3 years so I personally wouldn't go for their plasmas or lcds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Prosperous Dave, I'll def check those two sites out when checking prices, along with pix, and dabs

tv#1 is going to be the problem I fear
    thoughts on?

PHILIPS 19PFL5522D/12 LCD Television
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/590580/art/philips/19pfl5522d-12-lcd-televis.html

TOSHIBA 19W331DG 19"
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1118780/art/toshiba/19w331dg-19-lcd-televisio.html

thanks for any/all opinions

Of the two, I'd go for the Toshiba. However check out the other websites I mentioned before you buy as they have great deals. The MD of Richersounds posts here on Boards and he might do you a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Philips tvs tend to be cheaper but I've 2 Philips crt tvs at home and they both gave trouble after 2 -3 years so I personally wouldn't go for their plasmas or lcds.

Hate to go against you Dave but I also have 2 philips CRTs and neither have given any trouble whatever which is more than I can say for the Mitsubishi and Grundig I also have. In fact the 20" philips CRT is the cheapest TV I ever bought and has the nicest picture quality of any TV I have ever seen.

I also bought a philips 42" LCD Full HD last year. It's absolutely fine. No problems at all.

Hey each to their own. I always drive Renaults while others wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Back on topic, I also have a philips video player that broke down 6 months after it was bought. Haven't bothered getting it fixed as the kids use the cheaper lidl video/dvd combo that works fine. I was a Philips fan but I think their products aren't what they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

johnmc you'll find your post here soft deleted due to it considered pimping of sale/services.
    You are a very welcome visitor to the forums, but we would like if you can keep all form of trading to a minimum and to direct it towards your commercial interaction form.

Your signature may also need a bit of a tidy up as I almost confused it as part of a post. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I agree with Spankeh, not that you need my 2 cents! I'm a happy customer of Richer Sounds Ireland and love to see bargains but perhaps the other thread and/or PMs is the place for this actvity. It allows the best of both worlds - happy customer and good for business.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Johnmc, you have PM.......

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Hi guys,

thanks for responses - didn't see what Johnmc had to say, as was deleted before I got on - anything exciting? ;)

KDL32S3000
    Thoughts on this TV?
    32 inch I know but just wondering what we think!

For smaller tv looking at

Sony Bravia KDL20S3020 or KDL20S3000 (need a flat wall mount also)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

TVs in the Republic are complete rip off. An hour drive from Dublin, you can pick up a 40 inch samsung for less than 700 euro in Newry. The cheapest I have seen the same model in Dublin is 999.

Currys is the cheapest. You can buy from their website and collect from a store in Newry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement