Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Show of the Week #7: Quantum Leap

Options
  • 09-07-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

Way ahead of its time when it came out, this was a great series.

I was an on-and-off follower of the show, and the episodes that stand out for me are the ones that are bit unusual - The Leap Home, The Leap Back, Lee Harvey Oswald, Trilogy, and Mirror Image. The last segment on the finale:
    the on screen text "Sam Becket never returned home", followed by the photo of Al and Sam
    is still very moving (and leaves things wide open for a revival) :)

Oh boy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I watched it on and off too, and I thought it was great. Keep meaning to get the DVDs, but I've only managed the first series so far.

You can't beat seeing Scott Bakula in a dress :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Theorising that time travel was possible within one's lifetime Dr. Sam Beckett stepped in the quantum accelerator and vanished...

They were going to do an episode where he leapt into a cartoon character but it never came about. Like you say, ahead of its time. Hasn't dated very well but it was a great little show with some marvellous performances.

Possibly one of the saddest endings in TV history too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I knew a girl, years back, who used to watch this religiously (taped every episode) and kept a notebook of every episode that she watched, including title, any guest stars, the name/details of the assumed ID of the character and a summary blurb of what went on.

I couldn't watch it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I loved this show as a kid but I disagree with the comments on the ending. I thought that was a big steaming pile of crap.

I watched pretty much every episode of the show to my knowledge and they fob me off at the end with that ending?! It just made the whole thing seem a complete waste of time.

Imagine if the ending to Star Wars had been..."And the rebels never did manage to beat Darth Vader's Galactic Empire".

Wow that was worthwhile!

In saying that while the show was going I was gripped by it. I don't think it's dated very well and I've tried watching the episodes nowadays and it's pretty tough going. Still, good show at the time and what a theme tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think I'm just about old enough to talk about Quantum Leap, though my memory is sketchy to say the least. I can't remember how it ended, not sure if I even saw it at the time.

The only one that really sticks out in my memory is a halloween-type episode that scared the **** out of me as a kid :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I think the ending of this show (no matter how unintentional) was perfect. It reinforced the message that Sams purpose in life was not to save himself but to help the lives of others.

As an aside I watched the pilot episode again recently . The first two bits of music in the episode were "You Ain't Nothing But a Hounddog" by Elvis Presley and the theme tune to "The Howdy Doody Show". Why is that interesing? Check out the soundtrack to Indiana Jones 4 on IMDB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I loved this show as a kid but I disagree with the comments on the ending. I thought that was a big steaming pile of crap.

I watched pretty much every episode of the show to my knowledge and they fob me off at the end with that ending?! It just made the whole thing seem a complete waste of time.
    Pigman II wrote: »
    Personally I think the ending of this show (no matter how unintentional) was perfect. It reinforced the message that Sams purpose in life was not to save himself but to help the lives of others.

Just on this, Mr.Nice Guy, if you didn't know the show basically got cancelled and the writers were caught on the hop I think.
    Pigman II wrote: »
    As an aside I watched the pilot episode again recently . The first two bits of music in the episode were "You Ain't Nothing But a Hounddog" by Elvis Presley and the theme tune to "The Howdy Doody Show". Why is that interesing? Check out the soundtrack to Indiana Jones 4 on IMDB :)

A tribute? A coincidence? Something else?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Just on this, Mr.Nice Guy, if you didn't know the show basically got cancelled and the writers were caught on the hop I think.

Yeah I heard about that and I'm sure the writers were in a tough spot because of it. I think the fans deserved a better pay-off though.

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where they kill off Poochie and at the end it's really rushed as we're told that 'Poochie died on the way back to his home planet'. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In saying that while the show was going I was gripped by it. I don't think it's dated very well and I've tried watching the episodes nowadays and it's pretty tough going. Still, good show at the time and what a theme tune!

They managed to murder the theme tune in the final season with a terrible re-arrangement. Brought the original arrangement back for the last episode though.

The writers seemed to panic in general in Season 5 - they abandoned two of the shows basic rules ("no real people" and "Sam only can leap within his own lifetime") which IMO went outside the show's premise (although the majority of episodes still obey those rules). It made it not quite the same show it had been up till then. Not sure the "Evil Leaper" storyline worked, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Oh man I havent been on here in a week and I cant believe I nearly missed the QL as the TV show of the week thread!!!!

I watched this when it was on like my life depended on it! And I watched all the reruns and I bought all the DVD box sets and watch them alot too!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

Oh man the ep with Al's ex wife while he was captured :eek:...Sams brother in Vietnam :eek: Sam swapping places with Al and getting to go home for a wee while :eek:

Do I need spoilers here? I mean its been of the air for eons! Great show. I'm gonna go home and watch some eps tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spoil away, skinfull.... the show is old news :)

Was going to change this today, but I'll leave it up over the weekend if theres going to be more discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Love Quantum Leap myself... so much so that I had a parody in the works one stage that unfortunately has never seen the light of day. Have season 1-5 on dvd.

Check this out:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow... thats really well done (apart from that explosion) :D
    Nice one!

Mr E wrote: »
    Wow... thats really well done (apart from that explosion) :D
    Nice one!

Yeah I wasn't particularly happy with the explosion at the time either but it was only supposed to be a quick teaser, not a fully produced shot. Should have tracked the movement of the explosion with the video properly but ahh well.

Glad ya liked it!

That looked really cool, Achilles. Special effects were very good as well. :cool:

That looked really cool, Achilles. Special effects were very good as well. :cool:

Thanks mate, did them all myself, heh. Good auld particle illusion, after effects and premiere, heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Achilles wrote: »
    Love Quantum Leap myself... so much so that I had a parody in the works one stage that unfortunately has never seen the light of day. Have season 1-5 on dvd.

I hope you did'nt get the region 1 sets - the S2 region 1 set has the music (Ray Charles "Georgia on My Mind") changed to generic muzak in the finale.

I hope you did'nt get the region 1 sets - the S2 region 1 set has the music (Ray Charles "Georgia on My Mind") changed to generic muzak in the finale.

All of the music in the NTSC copies were altered due to copyright issues however the same company over here doesn't hold the same copyright or something so the original music was able to be left in.

Used to be part of a huge Quantum Leap fan forum. Trust me, it's not something i'd normally overlook ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

There was a big legal battle over that if I recall. Great box sets though not enough extras :(

Oh man I miss QL. :( Some eps I can watch over and over and over...sounds like someone has a date with the DVD player tonight! (Hmmm that came out wrong!)

Great intro Achilles. Loved it! thought the effects were top notch! ;)

Skinfull wrote: »
    There was a big legal battle over that if I recall. Great box sets though not enough extras :(

Oh man I miss QL. :( Some eps I can watch over and over and over...sounds like someone has a date with the DVD player tonight! (Hmmm that came out wrong!)

Great intro Achilles. Loved it! thought the effects were top notch! ;)

Glad ya liked it... pity I never got to finish the project. Ahh well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement