Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance.. Please help!

Options
  • 09-07-2008 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased an Advent laptop. I've successfully installed FS2004, which I also have on the household computer (acting up lately).

It loads no problem, select aircraft etc no probs. But when the flight itself loads, the problems start. At 1st, things seem hunky dory, occasionaly the view out of the cockpit is black for a second or 2, or when I change to a different view, some parts of the previous view are still on show. When this happens, the game tends to freeze. I'm unable to click on autopilot for example to change headings etc. This continues for such a period of time (outlasting my patience) that i shut it down, and try again.

The systems specs are:

Intel Core Duo CPU T5550 @1.83GHZ
    Ram 2GB (more than the house pc??)

Aswell as your run of the mill graphics card like my household pc, which bemuses me as to why it won't work on the latop??

I still havn't completed a single flight dispite installing it ages ago.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

The 1st is what appears intially. The second is what appears if i change view, seems normal but its actually frozen and i cannot press anything:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I have the same problem. Its related to Vista.

Running it in full screen mode is the only solution which will result in it working properly

If my display freezes I click on "view" and "View options..." then cancel out of that. usually works ok.

I have the same problem. Its related to Vista.

Running it in full screen mode is the only solution which will result in it working properly

If my display freezes I click on "view" and "View options..." then cancel out of that. usually works ok.

Nice one, I'll try it later!

Thanks again Neon-Circles, it works fine now!

On another note, with every FSX video I watch on youtube, an increasing jealousy grows within me, and I'm thinkin of buying it (again). I bought it before for the household pc ages ago, both silver and gold versions, with neither performing near playable!:(

But, what I'm asking yee, my fellow simmers, is would it be possible for it to function on my laptop (see laptop info in 1st post)?? If yes, which version do you recommend, if no, what do I need to do to boost it up to FSX standard?

Thanks a million,

anyone.......... please?? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

SRFC90 wrote: »
    anyone.......... please?? :o
    I'd suggest a seperate PC, as laptop to play FS-x is pretty expensive.

The big problem with the laptop is the graphic's cards, and the fact they usually share share system ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

Hi SRFC 90, sorry for wasteing your time if your you are allready familar with this, but with the many freeware aircraft and scenery items on the likes of the Avsim and Flightsim sites, you can create an FS2004 which looks nearly as good as FSX if similar downloads are available for FSX and a lot better than FSX if e.g. there is is a high quality download of an airport that has been created for FS2004 but none is available for FSX.

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

I've think you've misunderstood me! :P What I'm asking is do you think that my laptop (specs below), would be able to cope with flight sim x? If is isn't in your opinions, what must I do to upgrade it? ie. Certain graphics card, more RAM etc

The systems specs are:

Ram 2GB

edit: Is there any more info regarding the laptop you's need to help with forming your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

It's almost impossible to upgrade laptop graphic's cards, as they're usually built into the mainboard.

SRFC90 wrote: »
    I've think you've misunderstood me! :P What I'm asking is do you think that my laptop (specs below), would be able to cope with flight sim x? If is isn't in your opinions, what must I do to upgrade it? ie. Certain graphics card, more RAM etc

The systems specs are:

Ram 2GB

edit: Is there any more info regarding the laptop you's need to help with forming your opinions?

Thanx, I should have explained better................I know you are looking to run FSX on your computer and are looking at possabilities as to how to do that.............where I was coming from, is that it can be very difficult to get reasonable results with FSX......unless you have very fast hardware.....and with FS2004 once one uses add-ons with it one can get a very graphically pleasing experience quite nearly as good as FSX...........but on a lower specification machine and at excellent frame rates. To more specifically answer your questions about your laptop. I am not familar with your specific laptop [ you mention it is an "Advent" but there are lots of different laptops that share that name e.g. http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/lapmod2.htm ]. But unlike desktop PC's, you can't change the processor, if my memory serves me right, there are very few laptops that allow you to change the graphics card but very few, so it unlkely in the extreme you have one of those. Basically the only thing you can change in a lap top is the memory ie get more of it or possably better memory. As you allready have 2 Gigabytes of RAM, if say you brought your memory up to 4 gigabytes, I do not think it would make, much difference. You say, you allready own, FSX and have it on desktop but it seems from your comments here, that you are thinking of buying FSX...........since as far as I know you are not breaking any rules if you install FSX on a second computer as long as you do not fully activate the software, ie you do not try to change it to the non-time limited full install version, you should run FSX on your laptop and see what happens. Furthermore, as far as I can see from your problem with FS2004, you are are running Vista, which as a resource hog operating system would likely compound the problems your are likely to have in running FSX on anything other than a very expensive laptop with a very fast processor and a discrete high end graphics chip, built for gamers.

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

• Advertisement

I no longer own FSX, i bought it for my home pc, and returned it when it wouldn't work, well before I bought this laptop.

But anyway, looks like things aint looking good:(

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, given the quality and diversity of stuff that is available for FS2004 I would not be too upset, for example

http://www.tongasswild.com/gallery.html

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

Advertisement