Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg won't issue Tetra licence to Guards.

Options
  • 09-07-2008 12:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

I believe there are issues with rollout caused not least by eircom trying to con planners nationwide that a big ignorant phone mast in a village is actually a "Support Pole" and not a big ignorant 25m mast .

Comreg have not issued the tetra licence , the guards cannot have digital radios so.

Then Eamonn Ryan has to sign the licence and him abroad for much of the next two months. Shucks. Bit like the NBS farce this but guards don't vote green do they :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tetra as it will be delivered may not be what the Gardas want. Nor do they have to use it even when/if it is rolled out.

An irony that about the time eircom gets this, they sell most of their masts to Threefold.

Also Tetra cells are much bigger than regular mobile phone so need x2 high masts.

It could have been done with 3G. A special handset using encrypted 2 way radio when out of mast range and ptt/speed dial mode on 3G when in range. Also most Tetra has less than GPRS speed for Data. The EDGE/3G/HSDPA speeds would be better for photos, maps etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I heard about the problem of issusing a licence for the digital frequency and I think it is pure and utter madness. The Gardai have a radio system that is over 30 yrs old, is extremely unreliable and easily eavesdropped. Not only that but it is not only the Gardai who are going to use it. Ambulance and Fire Service are getting it or should be getting it too.

Tetra is needed badly, very badly. As a garda myself I don't know how many times I went on beat patrol on my own and found the radio system not working after a while. What if I was assaulted? or needed emergency help for another person? Ringing the station is not good enough because the communication is so slow ( dialling, ringing and the station is often very busy) and limited in its use. Tetra is 10 or more years in the making with two very extended pilots and if it is not rolled outt to suit our needs and the needs of the other emergency services then it will be money wasted on penny pinching on which we will have to spend yet more tazpayers money years down the line to get it right.

For christs sake why cant we get it right first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ComReg don't seem to be able to to ANYTHING right.
    Perhaps it's time to have them abolished, the Govt. needs to save a few quid and I can't think of any organisation that's more useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Solair wrote: »
    ComReg don't seem to be able to to ANYTHING right.
    Perhaps it's time to have them abolished, the Govt. needs to save a few quid and I can't think of any organisation that's more useless!

You wouldn't consider the department themselves as being more useless? :D

Advertisement