Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCSET extension process

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Dunno why I didn't think to check here sooner! Has anyone on here attempted to get an extension from IRCSET? I'm rapidly running out of funded time in here and I'd like to apply for more money to finance my student bum lifestyle. Sadly the IRCSET page has zip on applying for an extension and the email I got back from them wasn't exactly chockablock with details either. My supervisor's never had an IRCSET student before, and it seems that those who got em before have all fled the DCU scene long ago.

I'm looking for details on what the extension actually is composed of, and what on earth to write in order to convince them to give you one. From what I've heard you are given a stipend for x months, but not the money for your fees, correct? Odds that asking for a year's extension will earn me a slap on the hand for my greed?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've heard it's possible alright... I'd presume though that it is in IRCSET's interest to have people who are funded by them write up and finish correctly, rather than in a hurried fashion, so it'd be a bit silly of them not to grant one. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Has anyone on here attempted to get an extension from IRCSET? I'm rapidly running out of funded time in here and I'd like to apply for more money to finance my student bum lifestyle.

I thought it was just for the 3 yrs n that was it, didnt realise you could apply for a stipend if you were taking 4 yrs. Is it the same for the IRCHSS?? I'm in the same boat, hoping to submit in 6months but my IRCHSS funding is due to expire soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

dK1NG wrote: »
    I thought it was just for the 3 yrs n that was it, didnt realise you could apply for a stipend if you were taking 4 yrs. Is it the same for the IRCHSS?? I'm in the same boat, hoping to submit in 6months but my IRCHSS funding is due to expire soon.
    Just put together a letter asking for an extension highlighting what you have done so far and what needs to be done to be finished. Give a 6 month timetable and get your supervisor to sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 drusilla_rb

Climate Expert, thanks for the tip! Did you manage to get one that way? Do you have any idea whether they give more than 6 months? I really wish they'd give a proper outline as at the moment, everything I can get is wishywashy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Climate Expert, thanks for the tip! Did you manage to get one that way? Do you have any idea whether they give more than 6 months? I really wish they'd give a proper outline as at the moment, everything I can get is wishywashy.
    I got the 6 month extension near a year ago. I didn't ask for any more just got money off my supervisor for another 6.
    I'm not sure if you can ask for more but I was told to ask for 6 and then maybe ask for another 6.

Its all about your letter and your worth to them. Just mention any commercial potential in your work and stuff like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement