Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Routes to Cork from Naas avoiding motorway...

Options
  • 08-07-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if there are alternative ways to get to Cork from Naas using any roads other than the motorways....?? TIA:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Giggsy75

You could head from Naas to Kilcullen, on to Athy N78 and then over towards Abbeyleix N8. Follow the N8 to Cashel and on to Caher, Mitchelstown, Fermoy then all the way into Cork.
    Get yourself a good map or you could try GoogleMaps or AA Route Planner to see the route exactly and print out the directions for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if there are alternative ways to get to Cork from Naas using any roads other than the motorways....?? TIA:)

Nass to Heuston via the Train :D

Try going Naas to Blessington and hence the N 81 into Tullow and Carlow, then follow the N 9 to Waterford, find the N 25 and follow it to Dungarvan and Youghal and this gets you to Cork's northside and ring road. It's a nice drive in on the N 25 especially around Youghal.

While I am not familiar with the route beyond Kilkenny, the N 78 via Athy is a nice drive and at one stage was the main Dublin-Cork route and it worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

how about using the road through Templemore as far as Thurles? empty and avoids all the M7 and 8 roadwroks...have to use the old N7 as far as Port laoise from Naas through Kildare etc...all should be there still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

what are the road conditions like on these other routes ie are the roads narrow or crappy?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just use the old road - the R445.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Simple (assuming you're not nervous about driving on dual-carriageways)!

Follow the R445 (old N7) to Portlaoise via Newbridge, Kildare Town and Monasterevin.

Continue from Portlaoise to Kilworth (just north of Fermoy in Co. Cork) on the N8: there's no motorway along this section, although the Cashel bypass & Cashel to Cahir are dual-carriageway.

Once you get to Kilworth, follow the signs to Fermoy (avoiding the M8) via the R639 (old N8) and continue on this road through Fermoy, Rathormac and Watergrasshill.

You can rejoin the N8 dual-carriageway to Cork at the southern end of Watergrasshill or you can continue on the R639 through Glanmire etc. until you get to the roundabout with the N8 on the outskirts of Cork.

If you really hate dual-carriageways, you can avoid the Cashel bypass and Cashel to Cahir sections of the N8 by driving through Cashel and on to Cahir on the R639 (turn off at the roundabout to the north of Cashel).

Check out www.viamichelin.com and zoom in for detailed maps of the route.

The R445 from Naas to Kildare Town is reasonably good; from Kildare Town to Monasterevin isn't great and from there to Portlaoise it's fairly good.

The road from Kilworth to Watergrasshill is good, even if you avoid the motorway and dual-carriageway sections and stick to the R639 the whole way.

Watergrasshill to Cork via Glanmire is okay as far as Sallybrook (at the northern end of Glanmire) but is congested and narrow with some bad bends through Glanmire - you're better off joining the N8 dual-carriageway at Watergrasshill to avoid Glanmire.

I will check out the wesite you suggest but I think that way will be the winner I wonder how long that way would take me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Seems a strange request , are you driving a tractor or something else not allowed on motorway , or do you just not like travelling on them ?

The AA website allows you to plan journeys like this

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/

For the family rather than joining the Motorway rat race...no not driving a tractor or anything else not allowed on the motorway!!! LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Cool , enjoy the drive :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

OP, if it's a more scenic route for the ids, I'd suggest going through Kilcullen, then across the Curragh to the racecourse junction with the M7, then take the M7 to the monasterevin have a ok at the drawbridge, then keep on the old 'N7' road to Portlaoise, keep going to cashel, go through the town, the rock just appears around a bend, disappears and re-appears much bigger, it's a pretty cool sight

after Caher, between there and Mitchelstown, the Mountains - Galtee and Knockmeldowns are cool enough and then Kilworth over the hills from Mithcelstown to Fermoy, has a firing range/ army signs, and lastly the jack lynch tunell, if they haven't been in the port tunnel is always different.

Does anyone have a rough idea on how much it would be one way? I know there are a lot of variables but am just after a ball park figure in euros? I was thinking 60 euros one way what do you suggest? TIA:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Does anyone have a rough idea on how much it would be one way? I know there are a lot of variables but am just after a ball park figure in euros? I was thinking 60 euros one way what do you suggest? TIA:confused:

Not being smart, but that would depend on the vehicle fuel efficiency( ignoring the load factor for the time being, air con/ windows being rolled down, tyres being pumped, traffic etc, etc).
    From it's sales brochure, would it burn 8 litres to drive 100kms (or as my grandfather would say, how many miles to the gallon would it do?)

Assuming it's your average saloon because you're carrying a family and it's a petrol car as you say, I'd say it will burn 8 litres to do 100 kms, and Dublin to Cork is 250kms approx, so a return journey(and assuming you do no driving in Cork) will be 500Kms, so thats 500kms/100kms * 8 = 40 litres,
    and assuming a price of EUR 133.9 per litre
    that is EUR 53.56

Thanks for that I was thinking round 60 euros one way ...just gives us a rough idea.

Advertisement