Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water requirement when hiking

Options
  • 08-07-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi does anyone know a rough guide about how much water you should be consuming when you hiking? per hour?

I know the basics, ensure you urine is clear, that you are urinating at reasonable intervals, etc

but id like to get some idea as im planning a hike down the grand canyon and back, which ive done before but i can remember the amount of water per hour i should be drinking. its obviously important as the trail that we will be doing on the way down doesnt have any water fills, but on the way up it does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

That sounds like a hot and tiring walk. Assuming it's just for the day then a minimum of 2L - maybe 3L if you can fit it in (a camelbak might be worth considering for 2L or more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eascha

ye, it was pretty damn tiring, but well worth it

3L cant be enough for about 10 hours can it?

I seem to remember something about a litre every 2 hours, and since its 40 degrees at the bottom, factor in a bit more

for the first half (about 5) we wont have any taps to fill the water bottles up, but on the way back there is taps at intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Could you bring 3L for the first 6 hours and then refill from the taps?

Whats your route?

I walked down on the Bright Angel Trail, earlier this year, really great walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eascha

we will head down the South Kaibab Trail, and then come back up the Bright Angel trail. The route down is a steeper and doesnt have any rangers or water points, where as the Bright angel trail has both, so its easier to get back up. Though it isnt recommended...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

10 hours in 40 degress! thats a whole different ball game. A 3L camelbak (or similar) and refill on the way back should sort you - but if it is a 10 hour hike then maybe stuff in another 2L somewhere for emergency/contingency. You can never have too much water. Downside is all that water is going to be very heavy and space consuming - initially.

But not having water while walking in 40 degree heat is even less fun and I speak from experience.

although, not recommended, you could go up and down the bright angel trail in a day, and save yourself the hassle of bringing a lot of water.
    Really early start, and if you're fit, reckon you could do it.

Advertisement