Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite opening?

• 08-07-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭

No "Do you come here often?" jokes, please.

Mine's the King's Gambit. I've won many games with it, especially against relative noobs. I've also come unstuck when trying it on against more experienced players.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Pherekydes wrote: »
    No "Do you come here often?" jokes, please.

Mine's the King's Gambit. I've won many games with it, especially against relative noobs. I've also come unstuck when trying it on against more experienced players.

I'm no master chess player and I have no idea what the moves called but I often free up my pawns to get the bishops out, this in turn means I loose nothing important early on (pawns) but I can get most of my main players out with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

Hmm.. I've been experimenting with the English Opening.. No great results to report yet. :P

Again, I'm no master and I'm usually very standard at the beginning when playing as white (i.e. King's pawn -> Ruy Lopez or Italian Game)

I've yet to give the King's Gambit a decent go, though, so I'm gonna start giving it a whack!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Used the English myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I used to be fantastic with the sicilian Dragon but I have forgotten all the lines a while back. These days, whenever I play I tend to be playing against relative beginners so I just try and confuse them and get them to over extend themselves by playing a queenside or kingside fianchetto depending on which pawn they push and then trying to release the other bishop.

As white, I always played the rui lopez for the first 4 moves but then I think I pinned the knight with the 5th. I'm also particularly happy to play a dragon or Najdorf because I am so used to playing them and tend to know what can go wrong from experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

I play the Scotch as white, as black generally either the Sicilian Kan\Taimanov against e4, the Nimzo against d4 and against the English I just adapt a symmetrical structure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Abdiel wrote: »
    I play the Scotch as white, as black generally either the Sicilian Kan\Taimanov against e4, the Nimzo against d4 and against the English I just adapt a symmetrical structure...

I love the Scotch as well - the type of postitions that result always seemed more interesting that the Spanish (or, ugh, Italian).

As Black I like the Sicilian against e4 and the Benko against d4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I don't know the name, or remember the spaces i move them too but what every the move is too win in 4 moves....

Works a surprising amount of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Indeed....

if you're playing a household cat.:pac:

IT appears you haven't met me cat!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Queens gambit as white
    French defence as black

i like how they are almost mirrors of each other :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

D4... ugh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

the giuco piano has always been what i play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Start with the Colle then forget a bit and go down in a blaze of sacrifice aka - too much bullet and blitz have fried my brain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Sicilian when black and a kick in the shins under the table usually throws them off for a move or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I quite like the Ponziani, works well against most people, I do what Bruce Pandolfini used always tell Josh Waitzken in Searching for Bobby Fischer, I BRING MY QUEEN OUT!! I generally develop my knights and pawns while I have one of his knights pinned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I used to play Two knights defence for White and Sicilian Dragaon and the Queens Gambit. Tbh, I've started to trade these common openings for other ones as everyone knows them already and I'm sick of playing the same game....

So I've learned the Caro-Kann as Black and for White I'm still deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

i think its called fools mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Fool's mate or Scholar's mate.

Sicilian when black. e2 to e4 when white and take it from there.

Another trick to to lean over and sneeze over all their pieces so they won't touch them, except their king so they can tip it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xxbicceyxx

hello there,

this is my first post, i wanted to pick a topic I am familiar somewhat.

one of my favorite openings was or is (Ruy Lopez), and still yet to master the (Sillicion) . I was thinking of getting back into this game again
    '
    have a nice day

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Queens gambit generally. Not a fan of the scilian though I've been known to mix it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Against D4 I play the nimzo but I play E6 before the night as sometimes it transposes into the french defence advance variation which i play against e4. As white I never play d4 or e4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Started using Ruy Lopez for white recently, not very comfortable with it so going to try something new. Using the French defence as black currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

1 PLAY THE COLLY

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

for White, usually e4, but I can play d4 too, so it helps as it's hard for people to prepare against me.
    You should only play the English if your a boring old guy, any player under 30, and esp juniors should NEVER play the English!!! Trust me, learn aggressive, sharp lines while your young!

as black, I usually play the Accelerated Dragon, but I sometimes play the Caro-Kann against the right opponent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

My favourite opening would be to throw the chess board off the table and do somehing worthwhile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

SantryRed wrote: »
    My favourite opening would be to throw the chess board off the table and do somehing worthwhile.

Like taking the piss out of games on the internet? :D

SantryRed wrote: »

like accumulating over 1,000 posts on an internet forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Evans Gambit for white.

Sicilian Dragon for black.

I do find Evans extremely effective when playing against beginner to intermediate level players, but often come unstuck when opening with it against advanced players. Any recomendations which other openings to use for a nice open game?

Cheers.

Evans Gambit for white.

Sicilian Dragon for black.

I do find Evans extremely effective when playing against beginner to intermediate level players, but often come unstuck when opening with it against advanced players. Any recomendations which other openings to use for a nice open game?

Cheers.

Vienna or Scotch game

• Advertisement
Advertisement