Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand???

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi guys,
    Just wondering about NZ and more importantly the job situation there. If anyone has been there could they tell me what the cities of Auckland and Wellington are like, as in laid back or hustle and bustle? Are they difficult to get around, would you need a car there sort of thing?

And whats the employement situation there like? Is it difficult to get a job and whats the best way to do so? (recruitment or just dropping in CV's?) Id be looking for something handy like 9-5. I have a degree in civil engineering but I figure the hours would be long and the work hard, which is not what im after.

Finally whats the situation with visa's? I know a work travel visa for 1 year is available but is it possible to stay longer, how does one extend their visa?
    Any feedback would be great,
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I went to NZ for 5 weeks- Auckland is a really laid back city. Wellington seemed a bit more of a corporate city as it's the capital, but loved both. I rented a car the whole time and found it brilliant- you can stop to see sights along the way that you can't travelling on a bus. Some friends of mine travelled by bus and said it was great, but if I'd pick the car anytime. I found Apex Car Rentals very good, cars were maybe 5-6 years old but never had any problems with them and if you're renting for a good amount of time, always haggle to get the best price.
    Don't know what the job situation is like, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

JamMasterG wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just wondering about NZ and more importantly the job situation there. If anyone has been there could they tell me what the cities of Auckland and Wellington are like, as in laid back or hustle and bustle? Are they difficult to get around, would you need a car there sort of thing?

And whats the employement situation there like? Is it difficult to get a job and whats the best way to do so? (recruitment or just dropping in CV's?) Id be looking for something handy like 9-5. I have a degree in civil engineering but I figure the hours would be long and the work hard, which is not what im after.

Finally whats the situation with visa's? I know a work travel visa for 1 year is available but is it possible to stay longer, how does one extend their visa?
    Any feedback would be great,
    Many thanks.

I live in Wellington and moved here two months ago. I found a job very quickly (too quickly actually, I wanted more time off but I send applications off and got responses quickly!). Look on www.seek.co.nz or ww.trademe.co.nz for job ads etc. At the moment the job situation is very good. My OH is doing a masters and wanted to work 1 day a week only. He got a fair few offers too. Just don't compare your salary to home. I'm on a decent enough salary here but it's almost half what I earned at home.

I haven't been to Auckland but I really like Wellington. It's quite small so easy to find your way around but there's lots of bars and restaurants and things to do. There's loads of gigs and theatres too which I like. It's got a lot of character as well. It's busy but not excessively so and is very laid back.
    A lot of my friends work for government departments so ther jobs are more laid back too! The lifestyle here is a bit different and it's not quite as consumerist as home so there's more to do then just going to the pub.

From what I've heard, Auckland is a lot bigger and more sprawling (i.e lots of suburbs and bigger like Dublin). Wellington is bit more funky and arty. I haven't actually been to Auckland yet so can't help much there I'm afraid!

Just so you have an idea of rents etc I live fairly close to the city centre (30 min walk or 10 minute bus journey) in a two bedroom flat with my OH and we pay $300 a week rent (rent is weekly here, salaries are mostly fortnightly) so that's $150 a week. I've found it to be about the same proportion of my salary as it is at home, maybe a little bit less. I've found the costs of things quite high i.e. there is much less of a choice on consumer goods and the cost is high against salary compared to home. I find entertainment more expensive as well i.e. a cinema ticket here is $15 which is about €7.50 so only a euro or two less then home but here you are actually earning half as much so you have to work more hours to pay for your cinema ticket (hope that makes sense to you!). Things like groceries and bills are cheaper than home but prices are climbing all the time.

As for visas, I'm on a WHV but am applying for residency as my OH is a kiwi and they have partnership visas. As far as I know if you start a job and they like you they can sponsor you to stay on. Check out www.imigration.govt.co.nz for more info.

Any more questions feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Spent a month in the country at christmas.
    The whole country in general seemed very laid back.
    Hit down town Auckland a few times and even that was farely quiet.
    A car might be a necessity though!
    Just going from what I saw.
    I don't think hussle and bussle will be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nennec

Arrived in Wellington 5 weeks ago on a 3 year work permit. Watna's post is pretty accurate. The city really is lovely, very laid back, very cosmopolitan. If you're planning to stay in the city you defo don't need a car, everywhere is within walking distance.

If you're on a one year working visa you may find it difficult to get a "decent" job. By that I mean anything that requires any sort of training. This is because backpackers have earned a reputation for not being dependable and employers tend to avoid them. You'll defo get something but I wouldn't hold your breath on it being your dream job! I was told this by a friend who works as a recruitment consultant here so if anyone wants to correct me on this please feel free.

I wouldn't like to be earning half my Irish salary because things are not half the price. A beer in a bar costs €3.50 to €4. I say bar because they just don't do pubs in the way we do! If you're social life revolves around alcohol then this may not be the place for ya. As far as I can see there are about 5 coffee shops for every bar over here. You could get a room in a shared house/apt for about €40-€70 per week. Luxury goods and brands cost about the same as home e.g. pair of Lacoste trainers will cost ya €100+. Food shopping is cheap, I'm getting away with about €50-€60 per week.

One thing to note is that the NZ economy is under the same strain as most Western economies, i.e. prices are rising and it's been driven by the cost of oil. It's not quite in a recession yet but it turned 0% growth for the last quarter. It reminds me of Ireland 6/8 months ago when people were whispering the word recession.

Anything else just ask!

Best of luck with it man :)

nennec wrote: »

I wouldn't like to be earning half my Irish salary because things are not half the price

Yep, it's pretty shít tbh, I def don't have as much disposable income I had back in Ireland. Because I'm on a WHV and because the job I did at home they don't have many of here I'm not on as senior a level as I was in Ireland. I am only 24 and did have a very good job at home so I try not to let it worry me too much.

When my OH came to Ireland on a WHV both him and his friend found the same thing, that they could only find jobs on lower levels then they had in NZ. I think as Nennec says it's due to the backpacker thing and because you cannot take permanent employment, only contracts. When I got my job I told them I was applying for residency so I did get a better job then I would have otherwise as they are interested in giving me a permanent job when that comes through. Temp rates seem to be about $16 - $18 per hour but you can get more if you are lucky or have any particular skills. ( Luckily I managed to get a good bit more then this!). I work with another girl on a WHV from England and she said the same thing, that she expected t earn more because she had been working for a few years but it just doesnt work that way. The thing is if you're on a WHV you want something flexible so you can travel about anyway so it actually works in your favour to temp.

I can afford to to everything I want, I'm not poor by NZ standards by any means but I'm definitely not as well off as I was at home.

I'm happy enough with what I've got though. I'm really enjoying Wellington.

btw nennec, I think a few of us boardsies in NZ are having a mini boards beers in Wellington at the end of August if you're intersted.

• Advertisement

I got very lucky and actually got a pay rise coming down here! The company I work for in Ireland have a contract here with a Government department so they sent me down - with a little something extra for the inconvenience! :) If you can earn your Irish salary, or close to it, you'll defo be very comfortable here!

I should probably mention that I've decided that I'm not gonna stay here and am returning to Ireland in September. Don't wanna put the OP off Wellington, it's a fantastic city, it's just not for me!

(and count me in for beers if there's a boards night in Wellington :) )

nennec wrote: »
    I got very lucky and actually got a pay rise coming down here! The company I work for in Ireland have a contract here with a Government department so they sent me down - with a little something extra for the inconvenience! :) If you can earn your Irish salary, or close to it, you'll defo be very comfortable here!

I should probably mention that I've decided that I'm not gonna stay here and am returning to Ireland in September. Don't wanna put the OP off Wellington, it's a fantastic city, it's just not for me!

(and count me in for beers if there's a boards night in Wellington :) )

Cool, will pm you when we get it arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Hi guys, really interested in this thread as heading to New Zealand on WHV in September. Went to NZ for a month last summer, loved it so much that I'm going back :) Was in both Auckland and Wellington (although not for very long) but definitely liked the vibe in Wellington, it seemed a lot more personable. However, I'm still in two minds about whether to work in Auckland or Wellington....I'm thinking Auckland would have more employment opportunities??
    watna wrote: »
    Just so you have an idea of rents etc I live fairly close to the city centre (30 min walk or 10 minute bus journey) in a two bedroom flat with my OH and we pay $300 a week rent (rent is weekly here, salaries are mostly fortnightly) so that's $150 a week.
    quote]

Was it difficult to find accommodation in Wellington Watna? Also a couple of people have said that it's very hard to find furnished apartments for rent...is this true?? It's great to hear that you're getting on so well over there...can't wait to get settled in in September!

mazken wrote: »
    Hi guys, really interested in this thread as heading to New Zealand on WHV in September. Went to NZ for a month last summer, loved it so much that I'm going back :) Was in both Auckland and Wellington (although not for very long) but definitely liked the vibe in Wellington, it seemed a lot more personable. However, I'm still in two minds about whether to work in Auckland or Wellington....I'm thinking Auckland would have more employment opportunities??

Was it difficult to find accommodation in Wellington Watna? Also a couple of people have said that it's very hard to find furnished apartments for rent...is this true?? It's great to hear that you're getting on so well over there...can't wait to get settled in in September!

Apartments are very hard to find and don't come furnished. I didn't see one ad for a furnished place. If you share with other people you'll get furniture in the sitting room etc but usually you have to have your own bed etc. The salvation army was our friend for this. We furnished a whole flat and it was mostly second hand stuff! Also, there's not as manyapartments as at homee, most places advertised are flats i.e in a bigger building that has been converted into smaller units.

I'm having a great time btw, so I'm sure you will too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JamMasterG

Thats great thanks for all the info.
    Just when were on the subject of accomodation; In wellington is there any resource for finding apartments or to rent a room in an apartment already occupied (like room share)? Maybe wesite or something or do people just use the local paper?
    Also what would be a good part of town to get accomodation in? I assume its gonna be more difficult and expensive to get accomodation closer to the city centre.
    I have a sort of distant contact in a place called Porirua. Is this place very out of the way,good for accomodation? If anyone has any knowledge/experience of the area feel free to contribute.
    Cheers again.

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks for all the info.
    Just when were on the subject of accomodation; In wellington is there any resource for finding apartments or to rent a room in an apartment already occupied (like room share)? Maybe wesite or something or do people just use the local paper?
    Also what would be a good part of town to get accomodation in? I assume its gonna be more difficult and expensive to get accomodation closer to the city centre.
    I have a sort of distant contact in a place called Porirua. Is this place very out of the way,good for accomodation? If anyone has any knowledge/experience of the area feel free to contribute.
    Cheers again.

Use www.tradme.co.nz for accomodation. There's a flatshare or looking for own place option. In saying that we actually found ours through the paper (think the accomodation info is out on Wednesdays) but that is very unusual these days.

Porirua is quite far out. It's the proper suburbs. Think you'd have to get a train in to town. If you're going to live in Wellington I'd really get a place closer to town. One of the things that I like about Welly is that it's small and it takes me 10 mins to get to work. You should take advantage of that I think.

Areas that are nice to live in (i.e. that are near town and fairly decent) are Roseneath, Mount Victoria, Kelburn, Hataitai, Wadestown (is a bit further out), Newtown (wouldn't fancy there myself actually), Thorndon or Aro Valley and probably mount cook as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Watna, may i ask what industry you are in. I am in IT myself. I know ill have to take a pay cut but feck half is a lot. I was thinking about 20-30% myself. But i suppose it depends on the industry.

jank wrote: »
    Watna, may i ask what industry you are in. I am in IT myself. I know ill have to take a pay cut but feck half is a lot. I was thinking about 20-30% myself. But i suppose it depends on the industry.

Well, I'm not in IT anyway. I reckon you won't take as huge a pay cut with IT. My OH is a developer and he's on a decent enough wage (well he ony owrks a day a week - cos he's doing a masters but if he was working full time it'd be quite god)

I'm doing a different job then I did at home because they don't really have similar jobs in NZ. Think that has contributed to my dramatic pay cut too.

This might give ya a rough idea of salary expectations:

http://www.emigratenz.org/Work.html

I'm working in IT and from speaking to colleagues HP seem to pay above the market average here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wellington rocks :) Auckland's like Dublin, crap traffic, crap transport, impersonal and in my mind...very spread out. Nice place to visit and do sightseeing during the summer, devonport is lovely and the harbour etc but I wouldnt live there. Wellington is a lot more laid back and wellcoming, feels like a big Kilkenny with skyscrapers. Lots of chilled out cafes, hip places to hang out, cool sightseeing and cultural stuff and its compact so easy to commute around.

As regards IT it depends on your skillset and whether you go contract or perm, I'm on a 4 month contract for a government body in Wellington doing a Novell decom and i'm earning a LOT more then I was in Ireland. I've met perm staff that arent at all happy moneywise but for me contracting has been fantastic money. As Watna said developer salaries seem good, hardware and network stuff seem on par as well but I've found the cost of living cheaper living in Wellington then in Dublin when salary/currency conversions are done. There are plenty of IT jobs but I did a lot better applying directly to companies through the golden pages rather then using recuitment agencies. Its a very small market for them in Wellington so they tend to all have the same jobs, better just email/call directly a few places. I had two permanant job offers even though i'm on a working holiday visa as I said once I'd get them i'd apply for a work permit. I ended up going for the contract position in the end as the money was so good but Ive an open offer from one of the perm jobs should I settle! There are a lot of the big companies here like Fujitsu, IBM, HP, GEN-i etc so better IT job opportunities in some ways then Auckland.

Watna you forgot Brookyln! I LOVE it in Brooklyn :) Really handy for town and great social scene, i've made quite a few friends allready from the pubs in Brooklyn :) Also I work in Newtown and find it pretty cool, loads of interesting second hand shops and cheap food places to eat.

JamMaster Porirua is about 20 minutes from the CBD by train or 30 by bus, its an okay suburb to get started in but I wouldnt be mad to live there. Its a bit industrial and dodge at nighttime. The hospital's nice though :)

Hi again,

Yeah I was looking through that site seek.co.nz. Applied to a fair amount of jobs
    but nothing has come up yet.

I'm sort of getting a bit tired of hanging around waiting for a job to come up.

In anyones experience would it be fairly safe to just go there without a job and
    start searching, droping in CV's (or what would be the best method?)

Has anyone done this or know anyone who has and how did they get on?

I know a lad mentioned in this thread that he went and got a job fairly quickly,
    quicker than he expected but I assume he was experienced in some type of trade and had a qualification.
    I'd be looking for unskilled, untrained whatever.. painting or doorwork or something, (i'm not
    hugely concerned about the pay, i'm not looking to buy a car or anything but by the end of
    a year it would be nice to have enough to pay the flight home and enough to
    keep me going for a little while, maybe a 3-4 grand, or is that figure a bit to optimistic?)

Someone mentioned Golden Pages as a good place to look for work?

Feedback much appreciated.

Yeah you'll get a job easy enough doing labouring over here on sites, security, bar/resturant, bus etc. No point at all in applying online for most jobs from overseas, they get thousands of CVs every day from all over the world from potential immigrants, why would they chose yours unless you're an atomic scientist or something :) Your only bet would be to come down and see what happens when you apply face to face. Also a lot of construction work in Auckland at the moment, not sure about the other cities but i'm sure you'd find something. Worst case bring enough case to get tickets home if nothing at all happens but the economy is doing fine here no matter what the media freaks tell us about global recession. Immigration dont tend to check what money you have when you come in or ask many questions. Summer will have a lot of tourism related jobs as well which might be good.

Sounds good. I guess thats what i'll do.
    Its just a few years ago a few of us headed off to New York and we had the attitude of "we don't need to sort out any job in advance, we'll just get there, hunt around a bit and we'll have a job in no time"
    ...which was most definatly not the case. I ended up with about two hundred dollars left and only because of the absolute generousity of a particular guy who really went out of his way to find me work did I eventually get a job, but the couple weeks before-hand where I was running out of money so fast were a nightmare.
    Just lastly would you have any idea are there any good areas of the city to job hunt, any place where local jobs might be advertised or whatever?
    Many thanks

Yeah I understand your concerns but I just know recruiters and agencies don't pay any attention to CVs unless you're in the country. Especially if you're unskilled.

Take a look at www.te.co.nz, www.trademe.co.nz and www.gumtree.co.nz for jobs that might not be on seek. As regards where to look I can't help you there cos Im in IT and just went hunting for IT companies.

I agree with pclancy, if you want an unskilled job you will have to come here first. I know most companies won't hire you from abroad unless you're highly skilled.Three's no way someone looking for someone to work in a bar or something would hire someone from abroad, help them get a visa and then wait for them to get here if they can hire someone already in the country.

Have you a bit of money saved up to come over? Your euro is worth a good bit here so it'll keep you going for a bit. I think you'll find a job ok if you get here. There's a good bit of work around and you sound like you're willing to be flexible. I didn't have a job when I got here and didn't even look for one before I came. I knew you'd have to be in the country. I got one fairly quickly. It's a small risk but you have to take the sometime!

• Advertisement

Just applied for my visa. The site was called www.visabureau.com/new-zealand-visa
    They rang few days ago asking for my credit card details, I was out of town so no card and said I'd ring back.
    They rang the following day and then again today requesting credit card details.
    I'm a bit wary about giving out my details over the phone but as they seem so desperate to get them I certainly don't intend giving it to them.

Anyone know where is a reputable place to get a NZ visa where they definatly won't try a fleece you?

Im now looking on immigration.govt.nz and it seems more reputable but just want to be sure.

Cheers

Just applied for my visa. The site was called www.visabureau.com/new-zealand-visa
    They rang few days ago asking for my credit card details, I was out of town so no card and said I'd ring back.
    They rang the following day and then again today requesting credit card details.
    I'm a bit wary about giving out my details over the phone but as they seem so desperate to get them I certainly don't intend giving it to them.

Anyone know where is a reputable place to get a NZ visa where they definatly won't try a fleece you?

Im now looking on immigration.govt.nz and it seems more reputable but just want to be sure.

Cheers

www.immigration.govt.co.nz is the official nz government website for applying for visas. If you apply anywhere else you'll have to pay them to apply for you. I really wouldn't do this.

If you want a working holiday visa apply on the immigration.govt.co.nz website. It costs €65 and you'll get it in a few days.

You do not need to use a visa service. Use the nz government website. If you're having trouble with the website or are unsure of anything ring the nz embassy in london.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

watna wrote: »
    Three's no way someone looking for someone to work in a bar or something would hire someone from abroad, help them get a visa and then wait for them to get here if they can hire someone already in the country.
    True, but if you're like me then you get a bar job. Prove your worth and become a manager in a couple of months. Then get them to do your visa/permit and you're sorted :)
    That is what I did :D

Yeah I met two Irish blokes in Queenstown that had gone that way and got 2 year work permits from working in bars.

Advertisement