Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling Windows on a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop...help

Options
  • 07-07-2008 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey,

I've had my Fujitsu Siemens laptop (Amilo L1300) for over three years no so basically it's become close to useless due to it being so slow and stalling every ten minutes. A number of people have told me I should reinstall windows but I don't know how to go about this. Since I bought the laptop a long time ago, I don't have any of the cd's or manuals that came with it.

Do I need a cd to reinstall windows or can somebody tell me how to go about it.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yes you will need the windows cd to reinstall it.

Beaware since you dont have any cd's with you, before looking for a windows cd looks for drivers for you hardware on your laptop. I am not sure about Fijutsu drivers but try to look into device manager and then try to find the drivers for it. Google guru will be a great help.

Until you have all the drivers in hand, dont even think of doing a clean reinstall, that is wiping down your hard disk and doing a fresh install.

Altough there are software available live driver magic and all which can take backup of all your drivers and after the install you can put them back. Some users here may be able to help you with that. I have never used it. But this is a must.

Ofcourse you will have to find a windows cd as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

There is probably a recovery partition on your hard drive , in which case you do not need a Windows CD . The following is a quote from what I think (Googled it so not 100% sure) is your laptop manual ..

Caution! Personal data could be lost during restoration of the factory default settings.
    Proceed as follows to restore the factory default settings:
    1. Turn your machine on
    or:
    If the PC is already running, switch the machine off, wait for a moment and then
    switch it on again.
    2. During the boot process, press the F8 key at very frequent intervals, until the menu
    "Advanced Boot Options" appears. Repeat this process if necessary in order to
    gain access to this menu.
    .com
    3. The "Advanced Boot Options" menu will offer you the "Repair your Computer"
    function. If this is not the case, use the up/down keys (����) to select "Repair your
    Computer" and confirm with the Enter key.
    4. Once Windows has loaded a few files, "System Recovery Options" will appear.
    Under "Select a language" and "Select a keyboard layout:" specify the language
    and keyboard layout. As a rule, the language will be automatically recognised by
    the system and is marked in grey. Click on "Next".
    5. Under "User name:" enter the user name and the "Password". The user name will
    also be available in the selection menu and can be called up by clicking on the
    black triangle. If you have not assigned a password for the user selected, leave the
    "Password" field empty. Then click on "OK".
    6. In the following "System Recovery Options" menu, select the option "Fujitsu
    Siemens Computers Recovery" with the sub-item "Easy backup and recovery
    of your system".
    7. In the next menu, select "Restore the as-delivered status" and click on "Next".
    8. In the menu "Restore factory default settings", choose the option "From hard
    disk (recommended)" from "Select source" and confirm with "Next".
    9. The next message informs you that all data could be lost. Once you have
    confirmed this message, your system is restored.
    On completion of the restoration process, a confirmation message will be
    displayed.
    10. Select "Exit" to close the process.
    11. In the following "System Recovery Options" menu, select
    "Restart".
    12. After the restart, you must make some adjustments. To do this, follow the onscreen
    instructions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you have not got a clue what you are doing then reinstalling should not be your first option.

Presumably you have scanned it for viruses etc etc?

How much have you got left on your hard drive

How much ram have you got in it?

Have you updated your drivers since you got it?

When you say its slow and stalling is this in every day use? say using word or something like that or is it when you are using the net?

Have you ever defragmented your hard drive?

Have you any teccy friends that could have a look at it for you before you start reinstalling?

Advertisement