Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming : open water versus pool

Options
  • 07-07-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

i am not a great swimmer but can swim (usually do maybe 30 lenghts or so in the pool ) however recently went to the lake to swim for the first time and found it pratically impossible , was a bit of a culture shock the whole experience . See i am doing a sprint tri in september and really need to master the whole lake swimming thing , any tips !!!
    someone told me you can float with a wet suit and you wont drown , if this is true it will be a great comfort :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I prefer open water to pool swimming - generally the sea in my case. If you can swim in the pool there is no difference. In the beginning in open water it can be hard to judge how far/fast you're going because the sides are so far away etc. And i know that feeling of getting nowhere - but with some practice you'll be flying along. Find someone to train with. Could suggest open water races for the experience.

I wouldn't say can't drown - Stick to the rules - don't swim alone, don't overestimate your abilities, let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back etc... it is true that the wetsuit will give you extra buoyancy - and really if you're up for swimming >750M you'll be well able to tread water for hours 'till help arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Lake swimming is a bit different allright , in the sea you do have a lot more buoyancy and will ride over the waves. Whereas in a lake the wave just goes right over you and you do have a tendency to drink a lot more water. much prefer sea swimming myself, so long as its not too much of a swell !

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

The secret is learning to 'sight' off something on land so you swim towards it and you have to learn to look up every so many breaths instead of just side to side breathing.

The first tri I did was in murky water and I panicked as I couldn't see a thing (no black line:D) Also depending on where you will be swimming, if there are waves you HAVE to be able to breath both sides as if the waves are coming in on your breathing side...you are in trouble. It's good to practice with current or the waves as they really knock your rhythm. Our tri club did open water swim training regularly - it's the only way to get used to it.

Practice 'dolphining' too - and don't stand up too early and try to run when the water is too deep, it wastes too much energy. You are best to keep swimming till your hands are touching the bottom, then stand up and run.

I wouldn't count on 'riding over the waves' you often slump in the trough between them if they big enough. I know people talk about the bouyancy thing, I never noticed it much (or the wetsuit benefits) - just noticed the salt water in my mouth!

Advertisement