Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSi trail finder?????

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Does any body have any experience of this. Can i buy a hand held GPS unit that allows me to view discovery series scale mapping (OSi Trail Finder) in the field?

Can any one tell which GPS unit is the best for such an application if it is possible?

What do people think of them in general every day use? i ask this because i still find that the old paper maps are much better to route plan and as such the allow the reader to develop a better mental map of the area in question.
    What your opinion?:confused:

Regard Ivan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Does any body have any experience of this. Can i buy a hand held GPS unit that allows me to view discovery series scale mapping (OSi Trail Finder) in the field?.

Nope - you can't upload OSI maps. Current version of trailmaster just uploads waypoints and routes.

However, I believe OSI are planning to release an updated version of trailmaster that allows you to buy map segments online and upload them to your GPS.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2008/0607/1212762224035.html

I also heard in forums.geocachingireland.com that there is a version of Garmin Ireland Topo planned.
    Can any one tell which GPS unit is the best for such an application if it is possible?

IMHO garmin 60CSX is the best handheld field unit. There is another model called the Colorado buts it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Make sure that you have a look at trailmaster before you even think about buying it!

There are problems activating the product and it is almost unusable at the best of times!

Advertisement