Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laburnum turning

Options
  • 07-07-2008 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

hi guys,
    I have some Laburnum and I have turned a bowl and candle holders. I was just wondering is there any risk associated with this as the wood is toxic. Also what percautions should I take when turning?

KPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Good question. There's no explicit mention of laburnum here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf. It's a pretty hard wood, as you've probably already found out, and certainly when sanding on the lathe the dust will be quite fine, so a dust mask is essential, as it is indeed for all woods. Personally I'd wear a dust mask all the time when turning or finishing anything that's potentially toxic. There's some more information here http://www.woodturner.org/resources/toxicity.cfm on wood toxicity in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 KPG

Thanks Alun it slightly comforting that laburnum is not discussed. It's just I saw this post http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6751 and I was a bit concerned. I don't know if the guy is overreacting a bit or not. I always ware a mask but I was not sure if I should leave the wood altogether and not bother with the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a lot of conflicting information out there alright. I suppose in a European context, yew and laburnum are the only two native woods that cause concern, and most online references say that all parts of both are poisonous, except for the fleshy part of yew berries. It rarely goes into any detail about the wood itself though, especially when dried, and how much yew or laburnum wiood you'd have to 'eat' to notice any effects, if at all. Personally I think the only thing to fear is inhaling the dust, so I take precautions then, but not handling the wood itself when turned.

thanks Alun. I'll do a bit more research and let you know if I find anything else. So for now I'll just stay turning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

KPG. I've read on other posts that all precautions should be taken when turning Laburunm. You should wear a dust mask at all times and have some means of dust extraction on at all times.I've never used it as yet,Ihave used some Yew that I was givenbut it was so old that the woodworms had eaten anything that any life left in it.
    I have joined a woodturning club(or chapter) down here in Carlow called the Dolmen chapter. Its made up of very experienced turners and they are always on about wearing dust protection and if possible have extraction of some kind, so as a newcomer to turning I take them at their word. Regards Boysie.

• Advertisement

Thanks Boysie39. I agree. Next time you meet would you mind asking some of the turners what they think ??

Advertisement