Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Dublin

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All,

I will be commuting to Dublin this year does anyone know the buses I need to take to get to the following locations.

1. Connolly Station to Greenhills Walkinstown.
    2. Greenhills Walkinstown to UCD.

Any information would be a great help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

You have a number of options:

1.)
    - 151 from Connolly Station to Drimnagh Road, change to 50/77/77A to Greenhills Road
    - walk from Connolly to Pearse Street (10 mins) to catch 50/77/77A direct to Greenhills Road
    - walk from Connolly to Eden Quay (10 mins) to catch 15A direct to Greenhills (Limekiln Ave)
    - walk from Connolly to D'Olier Street (15 mins) to catch 19A direct to Greenhills (Limekiln Ave)

2.)
    - 15A or 19A from Greenhills (Limekiln Ave) to Kimmage Cross Roads, change to 17 to UCD Belfield
    - 50/77/77A from Greenhills Road to Crumlin Road (Dolphin's Barn), change to 17 to UCD Belfield

Use the pre-paid 'Travel 90' tickets if you can (available in packs of ten, at most newsagents throughout Dublin City) for the best value over cash fares. One ticket can cover two bus journeys, as long as the second journey commences within 90 minutes of starting the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

bazzer wrote: »
    You have a number of options:

1.)
    - 151 from Connolly Station to Drimnagh Road, change to 50/77/77A to Greenhills Road
    - walk from Connolly to Pearse Street (10 mins) to catch 50/77/77A direct to Greenhills Road
    - walk from Connolly to Eden Quay (10 mins) to catch 15A direct to Greenhills (Limekiln Ave)
    - walk from Connolly to D'Olier Street (15 mins) to catch 19A direct to Greenhills (Limekiln Ave)

2.)
    - 15A or 19A from Greenhills (Limekiln Ave) to Kimmage Cross Roads, change to 17 to UCD Belfield
    - 50/77/77A from Greenhills Road to Crumlin Road (Dolphin's Barn), change to 17 to UCD Belfield

Use the pre-paid 'Travel 90' tickets if you can (available in packs of ten, at most newsagents throughout Dublin City) for the best value over cash fares. One ticket can cover two bus journeys, as long as the second journey commences within 90 minutes of starting the first one.

On point 1, you could also continue onto Pearse Station and get a 50/56A/77/77A from Pearse Street to Greenhills/Walkinstown provided that Sammy (OP) is going to that side of Walkinstown/Greenhills. If not, the 15A/150/19A/54A will be better options as that area is quite spread in terms of distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sammylouth

I am going to St. Pauls Secondary school in Greenhills, Walkinstown.
    I dont know what the nearest bus stop is to the school.

In that case, you'll be right beside the 15A and 19A terminus at Limekiln Avenue. I believe you can cut through from there to the school in a matter of minutes.

Thats great thanks for the information

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

whats ariund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

chdpoker wrote: »
    whats ariund

Grammer nazi!:p

Just to add to my email yesterday.
    Does anyone know which bus to take to get from UCD back to Connolly Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

sammylouth wrote: »
    Just to add to my email yesterday.
    Does anyone know which bus to take to get from UCD back to Connolly Station.

From the main bus stop in the UCD campus the 10 will drop you to O'Connell Street (Easons) and from the stop outside the main gate routes 46A, 46B, 46C and 145 will drop you to the same stop, while the 63 and 84 will drop you to Eden Quay (but are less frequent).

The 27X at 1540, 1600, 1645, 1705 and 1725 from UCD will also drop you directly to Amiens Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

while the 63 and 84 will drop you to Eden Quay (but are less frequent).

The 63 will drop you by Pearse Station if thats any help, after that it operates via Westmoreland St. and O'Connell St.

• Advertisement

I was looking at the timetable for the 15a it takes 60 minutes to get from eden quay to Limekiln Ave.
    I was thinking of getting the Luas stopping at Bluebell. Is there a bus I could get from around there to get me to Limekiln Ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Bluebell is miles away with no bus connection.

The 60 minutes is a very rough guess. On average in off-peak times, the 15A will take 40-45 minutes to get from the city centre to Limekiln Drive, except in the evening peak period when it can take up to an hour.

It's a frequent (every 15 minutes appx.) and reliable service.

The 19A is slightly more frequent and would take about 45 minutes also in the off-peak. Unfortunately it and the 15A have no common stop in the city centre.

I would recommend the following:

Connolly - Greenhills:
    15A (Ex-Eden Quay);
    19A (Ex-D'Olier Street)

Greenhills - UCD:
    15A / 19A to the bus stop before Kimmage Cross Roads (KCR); then 17 to UCD

UCD-Connolly:
    27X to Connolly (limited);
    63 or 84 to Pearse Station and DART;
    or 10/46A/46B/145 to O'Connell Street and walk;
    or 10/46A/46B/145 to Suffolk Street and 128 to Connolly (128 every 10-15 mins appx)

Notes:
    Check the 17 timetable before you travel - allow 15 minutes to get to KCR from Greenhills and allow the 17 10 minutes to get there from Rialto, and a further 30 minutes to get to UCD from KCR.

The 27X, 63 and 84 are limited frequency services - I would not go specifically for them - the other routes listed are fairly high frequency and all serve the main stop outside UCD on the Stillorgan Road.

Those are your best options. I wouldn't consider anything else.

Explore the possibility of either unlimited train tickets with a Dublin Bus add on, or a point-to-point rail ticket with a Dublin Bus add on in weekly, monthly or annual form to reduce your costs.

What's available depends on where you're commuting from!

If you really want to use Luas, get off at Kylemore, walk up Walkinstown Avenue to Long Mile Road (10 mins), get a 56A up to the Walkinstown Roundabout (dodgy service at the best of times - or walk another 20 mins) and then finally from there, get your 19A to Limekiln.

More trouble than it's worth. Stick to the direct 15A/19A option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Get a folding bike. Use the Luas from Kylemore for Connolly (cycling to the tram), and cycle to Kimmage cross and bus to UCD.

Advertisement