Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of Questions

Options
  • 07-07-2008 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm a bit of a noob though I have used airsoft guns before, I notied that there was/is a place opened near Drogheda from the other thread and I've a few questions:

1) is the drogheda place still open ? (I have the number from the other thread but thought I'd ask first)

2) can you do airsoft if you are a diabetic?

3) in terms of gun, is there anything replicating an FN 2000 (they look funky) as I have not seen them on any of the irish airsoft websites ?

4) how much should you be looking to invest to start with. I have a friend who has 2 pistols, mp5 sniper rifle, claymore mine.. needless to say hes MAD into it and has spent a *lot*

5) how much running/fitness involved. Ie do you have to be fit, does it help you get fit or is accuracy/teamwork more important ?

6) how accurate do you have to be. ie With a .22 bolt action I'm pretty alright at a couple of hundred yards but do people prefer you to be lethally accurate or is it more of a 'for the laugh type thing' ?

7) how accurate do airsoft guns tend to be ? I have used some which were toys and couldnt hit for **** whereas others seems fairly accurate alright. How can you tell? (short of actually getting the thing and firing it off beofre you buy)

8) do you need camo gear /combat gear?

9) whats they story with modding /customizing them ?

10) finally you can get grenades etc for them. How commonly utilised are these or is the cost prohibitive ?

Sorry if any of these were asked before but I have read some of the stickys though they are really LONG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

1) is the drogheda place still open ? (I have the number from the other thread but thought I'd ask first) - Think so

2) can you do airsoft if you are a diabetic? - dunno, but its no different than any out door physical activity if that helps.

3) in terms of gun, is there anything replicating an FN 2000 (they look funky) as I have not seen them on any of the irish airsoft websites ? Yep, you would have to import though

4) how much should you be looking to invest to start with. I have a friend who has 2 pistols, mp5 sniper rifle, claymore mine.. needless to say hes MAD into it and has spent a *lot* - 150-200€ will get a decent gun and a spare magazine

5) how much running/fitness involved. Ie do you have to be fit, does it help you get fit or is accuracy/teamwork more important ? Teamwork usually, mostly tactics are important, fitness would be secondary

6) how accurate do you have to be. ie With a .22 bolt action I'm pretty alright at a couple of hundred yards but do people prefer you to be lethally accurate or is it more of a 'for the laugh type thing' ? You are probably more accurate than an airsoft gun is then :D

7) how accurate do airsoft guns tend to be ? I have used some which were toys and couldnt hit for **** whereas others seems fairly accurate alright. How can you tell? (short of actually getting the thing and firing it off beofre you buy) They are usually adequate for 50m, accuracy varies from gun to gun, a long barrel is usually more accurate, but don't compare to a real rifle in accuracy.

8) do you need camo gear /combat gear? no, not until you feel you need it, most people get some camo and a vest if they decide they like the sport.
    But you can play with a gun and a mask only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

thanks .. I have another complication I'm left handed and believe me when firing a bolt action that's *annoying*

the thing is a real lie FN 2000 or p90 is ambidextrous afaik and an AUG can have the bolt flipped to the other side I think but I dont know if airsoft ones are that similar. Or is the whole point that aside from being non lethal they look/operate the exact same ?

Airsoft p90's are easy to get here as they are popular.

Most airsoft guns have similar controls to their real version, fire selector and safety positions, the charging handle or bolt are just aesthetic.

AFAIK the airsoft fn2000 is ambidextrous, but if you import one it would need to be downgraded at source to be below 328fps with a .2g bb, or in energy terms 1 joule, legal limit here.

Also the aug is available in many of the stores here, and is ambidextrous.

Really being a lefty would only affect using a bolt action airsoft gun, don't worry about feeling you have to get an ambidextrous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Phototoxin wrote: »
    1) is the drogheda place still open ? (I have the number from the other thread but thought I'd ask first)
    Still going strong as far as I know.
    No reason why not.
    3) in terms of gun, is there anything replicating an FN 2000 (they look funky) as I have not seen them on any of the irish airsoft websites ?
    JLS do an FN F2000. Purists will point out a couple of differences from the real military version but unless you were very anal about it, it's a good replica of one. A couple of Irish retailers stock them.
    4) how much should you be looking to invest to start with. I have a friend who has 2 pistols, mp5 sniper rifle, claymore mine.. needless to say hes MAD into it and has spent a *lot*
    I'm assuming by "MP5 sniper rifle" you mean an MP5 and a sniper rifle. That set up might sound a lot but you can start off with a rental rifle from most sites, or pick up a nice starter rifle for 100-140 (MP5 at about 100, M4/G36 at about 140). While it might sound a lot to own, you'd be surprised how much stuff you can accumulate. There's guys on here with 20+ rifles.
    5) how much running/fitness involved. Ie do you have to be fit, does it help you get fit or is accuracy/teamwork more important ?
    Depends on your style, it's very much up to you. Grab a sniper rifle and stay reasonably static and at the periphery or grab an smg and run into the middle of the fray. It all depends on what you feel more comfortable doing and/or what you feel you're better at.
    6) how accurate do you have to be. ie With a .22 bolt action I'm pretty alright at a couple of hundred yards but do people prefer you to be lethally accurate or is it more of a 'for the laugh type thing' ?
    Depends on your style. If you're using a support gun I'd be surprised if you were at all concerned with accuracy. If you were using a bolt action rifle, I'd advise spending some time becoming accurate with it since you don't have the rate of fire to compensate. BB and bullet ballistic dynamics are vastly different, your RS experiences won't matter hugely.
    7) how accurate do airsoft guns tend to be ? I have used some which were toys and couldnt hit for **** whereas others seems fairly accurate alright. How can you tell? (short of actually getting the thing and firing it off beofre you buy)
    Very dependant on your choice. Obviously a bolt action sniper rifle is going to be more accurate than an smg with a high rate of fire. It's a trade off, the balance of accuracy versus number of rounds down the pipe is a decision dictated by your playing style. Average effective range is 25-30m.
    8) do you need camo gear /combat gear?
    You don't need it, but it can help. Basic woodland gear is cheap from most surplus stores these days. Failing that, wear green, it breaks up your outline. Never black though. Black causes a void to eyesight. A depth of field that's easier to pick out that bright colours against foliage. It's as bad as ACU for that...
    9) whats they story with modding /customizing them ?
    Sky's the limit. Well, actually it's not. Your bank balance is the limit. Frankly if you can dream of it, you can do it.
    10) finally you can get grenades etc for them. How commonly utilised are these or is the cost prohibitive ?
    Often carried, rarely used. Airsoft grenades come in various forms. The most common being the 40mm M203 grenade which works more like a shotgun cartridge. Rather than fire an explosive round it sends a scatter shot of between 18 and 204 rounds down the launcher barrel. The other types are gas or chemical hand grenades. Gas ones being reasonably effective, chemical ones being rather, well, rubbish.
    Pyro grenades being illegal down here in the south, cannot be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

My buddys a diabetic and before he moved to Oz we played Paint Ball a good few times together. Didnt really seem to phase him any more than anyone else. He just had a Mars bar about halfway through.

Oh yah, MP5 sniper rifle? You mean hes got an mp5 with a scope ontop of it?

Allways thought that would look class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

naw I mean an MP5 and a sniper rifle. 2 pistols, tactical vest, leg hoslter then whole she bang. His claymore was teh sh*t.

Another thing is a sidearm a necessity or a recommendation or an option. Ie how often does *pop pop click click* oh crap I wish I had a spare syndrome occur ?

and final question as its late (3:25am O.O) but as the legal limit is 1 joule the lighter the bb the futher it will go. are differnt wight of bbs different sizes ? if not are they just made of denser material and finall what type is the best?

also just to say thanks for the responses so far everyone is helpful :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Depends how many mags you have for your primary rifle/sub gun.

Some people like to go "Commando" with a pistol when trying to get an objective (eg flag) as it frees up your hands.

My experience, ya dont need one (but ive got 2X 500 round mags for my rifle :p )

I do own a gas pistol though,much fun to shoot.

Damn i wish i could sleep, im starting a new job in 2 hours :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If you are diabetic , i would out of courtesy , tell the site organiser/marshall.
    Purely for safety in case something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

horgan_p wrote: »
    If you are diabetic , i would out of courtesy , tell the site organiser/marshall.
    Purely for safety in case something goes wrong.

Definitely a good idea.

Regarding pistols; they can come in useful, they are a lot less bulky than an AEG to use close up, so if you are getting into a tight situation they can be very useful. Personally i've found that whenever I use my p90, I very very rarely use a pistol because of the small and compact size of the p90, however I have used the pistol several times with my m4 and other bigger AEGs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

thanks .. I have another complication I'm left handed and believe me when firing a bolt action that's *annoying*

the thing is a real lie FN 2000 or p90 is ambidextrous afaik and an AUG can have the bolt flipped to the other side I think but I dont know if airsoft ones are that similar. Or is the whole point that aside from being non lethal they look/operate the exact same ?

Being left handed isn't generally a problem for me and I use an M4. You just need to be quick:D. I think all HKs are ambidextrous if you interested in one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

the star scar is also ambidextrous ( and a sweetheart of an aeg)

and final question as its late (3:25am O.O) but as the legal limit is 1 joule the lighter the bb the futher it will go. are differnt wight of bbs different sizes ? if not are they just made of denser material and finall what type is the best?

Nah the lighter the more likely they are to blow away in the wind.

Airsoft guns have hop-up, a thing to put an adjustable backspin on a bb to add range.

Go with .2 or .25 gram bbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Oh and just to point out, alot of people make the mistake of using 328fps as the limit, it's only 328fps with 0.2g BBs, heavier BBs will be less than that out of a 1 Joule gun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yep the FN2000 is ambidextrous, i have one myself and im primeraly lefty but also like the option of shooting right handed.,
    as some of the other lads said, the Scar is ambi too, i have the star one and its very east to switch from left to right with it.,
    If your only starting then maybe a cheaper gun would be for you, you get pretty much the same performance from them anyway, try the JG G36. that was the first gun i bought based on the fact that it can be used with either hand, its nice and light, super reliable and very vell made.,

If your going for an M4/M16 type of rifle, there not exactly the greatest rilfes for lefties, i have a few myself but i find that when im using them in my left hand my triger finger when not on the trigger, will often move the fire selector slightly and sometimes it wont fire when you need it, of course you wont notice this until you really need it and try to fire., :D

The P90 is also an ambi gun but i find it a but weird to shoulder, i suppose it takes a bit of getting used to.,:)

EDIT: oh and the FN 2000 will almost always come in around the 300 mark, i dont think ive seen a hot one.,

vtec wrote: »
    EDIT: oh and the FN 2000 will almost always come in around the 300 mark, i dont think ive seen a hot one.,

I've seen a couple of reviews claiming 350, so ask the retailer just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

The FN2000 that I sold recently chronoed at an average of 312 fps and this was an imported gun...

Another friend of mine has one and his chronoed at an average of 309fps.
    He has been using his regularly for about 7 months and it still averages 309fps.

Advertisement