Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETQW Connection Issues On 20MB Bandwidth?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out here?

I've just upgraded from a bog standard 3mb DSL connection to the new shiny UPC 20mb cable connection, and ever since then my ETQW keeps hitting me with the 'connection to online services lost' error about every 5 or 10 minutes into a game.

This never happened when I was on the 3mb DSL, but for some reason now that I've got a **** load more bandwidth I'm getting lousy performance in the game. Tried reinstalling etc... made no difference.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

c0y0te wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out here?

I've just upgraded from a bog standard 3mb DSL connection to the new shiny UPC 20mb cable connection, and ever since then my ETQW keeps hitting me with the 'connection to online services lost' error about every 5 or 10 minutes into a game.

This never happened when I was on the 3mb DSL, but for some reason now that I've got a **** load more bandwidth I'm getting lousy performance in the game. Tried reinstalling etc... made no difference.

Any ideas?

Yeah, its a problem with how the ETQW traffic is routed through non-enterprise routers. If you bypass whatever router you are using with UPC you will find you don't get disconnected. The only option you really have is to find a router that is known to work with the game and use it.

There was a couple of threads with a few thousand replies on the official support forums when I went looking into this issue myself. I used 3 different routers, a linksys basic cable router, a netgear router and a d-link router. All would cut me out in around 1-10 minutes with that error. Going straight into the NTL modem would bypass the problem as would using the Cisco 2600 enterprise router I had handy.

Or you could wait for them to bother finding an fixing the problem. Hell its only been around 8 months and 5 or 6 patches so far......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Well,

I contacted UPC anyway and described the issue. I also ran a series of tests on the line and noticed the QoS dropping every now and then, so they have a tech coming out to me tomorrow to correct the problem - which they reckon is the way their cable modem has been setup, something to do with power consumption/output.

They suspect it's this modem causing the issue because my 20mb connection is only showing 15 mb (ROFL, "only 15mb"... I still can't get used to that) and that conforms to some known issue they have.

I'l let you know... but hopefully the tech can resolve this for me tomorrow and I'll be back in ETQW blowing everything to hell and back again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

c0y0te wrote: »
    Well,

I contacted UPC anyway and described the issue. I also ran a series of tests on the line and noticed the QoS dropping every now and then, so they have a tech coming out to me tomorrow to correct the problem - which they reckon is the way their cable modem has been setup, something to do with power consumption/output.

They suspect it's this modem causing the issue because my 20mb connection is only showing 15 mb (ROFL, "only 15mb"... I still can't get used to that) and that conforms to some known issue they have.

I'l let you know... but hopefully the tech can resolve this for me tomorrow and I'll be back in ETQW blowing everything to hell and back again ;)

Sounds like Bull on their end to me. Either way I hope it works out for you.

Ohh yeah, the majority of people that were complaining were using Chorus/Ntl/Chello with a few other variants of cable connections across the continent. If they have figured out what the issue is, can you ask for a detailed explanation of it and post it up here. I would like to get the problem sorted with NThell as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

NTl/Chello where haveing major problems with online games like Eve awhile ago. It got sorted out when one of the guys on the forum got in touch with someone who could do something/cared enough to do somehting/other and it got fixed.

From what I remember now ET:QW had the same issues awhile ago but the Dev's got on to UPC/Chello even before the Eve issues came up, there should be some old posts on the ET:QW forums, or new ones if there's a problem still there :)

Advertisement