Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franciscan Well

Options
  • 06-07-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I was in The Gingerman pub in Dublin on Friday afternoon just before catching a train, for one pint.

They had taps I'd never seen before, and one was a Red beer.

It was delish.

Where else in Dublin sells this stuff on tap, and is it available in bottles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Not bottled, but you can buy a mini-keg of it from the pub, I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    The site (http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/) says the following pubs in Dublin sell their stuff: The Gingerman, Paddy Cullens, Mary Macs, The Bull And Castle (Christchurch), Ryans (Park Gate St.), The Schoolhouse (Ballsbridge)
    Rebel Red is badged as "Castle Red" in the Bull & Castle. It's "Writer's Red" in The Ginger Man, AFAIK. In Paddy Cullen's it cost €3.80 a pint, something it's harder to say fairer than.

I'm told that the 'Well is very keen to get its beers out into the wider market, so ask your local if they'll consider it.

And for an as-full-as-we-can-make-it list of Irish pubs serving all Irish craft beers, Noby has put together this directory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BeerNut wrote: »
    Rebel Red is badged as "Castle Red" in the Bull & Castle. It's "Writer's Red" in The Ginger Man, AFAIK.
    What?

I find that a bit strange, comsidering this
    I'm told that the 'Well is very keen to get its beers out into the wider market, so ask your local if they'll consider it.

Why call it different things in different pubs?

Hmm, I thought the Rebel Red was a bit "hoppy" when I was in the Bull & Castle, the "Writer's Red" not so, perhaps I was wrong though.
    And for an as-full-as-we-can-make-it list of Irish pubs serving all Irish craft beers, Noby has put together this directory.

Thank you for that.

DesF wrote: »

Thank you for that.

Feel free to add to the list too if you notice any gaps, even through a pm here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Or you could just go to Cork and enjoy the wonderful Well and its beer garder itself! :p

As for the re-branding, they obviously wanted to move away from the Cork-orientated names on their beers in Dublin, but it is odd that they have several names.

Faith wrote: »
    Or you could just go to Cork and enjoy the wonderful Well and its beer garder itself! :p
    NEVER!
    noby wrote: »
    As for the re-branding, they obviously wanted to move away from the Cork-orientated names on their beers in Dublin

I can see why actually. :p

DesF wrote: »
    Why call it different things in different pubs?
    It makes it seem something special and exclusive for the pub. The brewer isn't trying to create brand loyalty: he just wants his beer to be available in as many places as possible and will help sellers with their own marketing as much as possible, including designing custom tap clips for them.

Fair enough.

I only bought the stuff on Friday because it was "new" to me. I'd like it to be available in more places.

I suppose there are people who will always try out new stuff, but we are outnumbered en masse by people who just go and order Heineken, Carlsberg or Bud without even thinking.

Brand Loyalty or stupidity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 absinth

I love their Friar Weisse, and it can be found in a good range of pubs around Cork city at this stage.

Had a cracking pint of that in Paddy Cullen's t'other week. Didn't really like it first time round. I think it changes from batch to batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's the thing with FriarWeiss. It never tastes the same twice,mind you, it's usually pretty good - just never the same.

"a bucket of madness" a I heard a barman refer to it once!:D

Advertisement