Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council loves cycle paths so much, they...

Options
  • 06-07-2008 10:18pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭

2643584204_ace9ffc3a8.jpg

...put one of those large flower planter on one of them.

It's bad enough that Dublin cyclists have to contend with painted road cycle paths, sharing space with buses, and shared footpath/cycle paths - a far from the network of kerb separated cycle tracks Copenhagen started to install 25 years ago.

But Dublin City Council must think cars and vans parking in bike lanes isn't enough. Why not brighten up the place with some flowers?

And to top it off, nearby we have the Docklands' top class cycle tracks.

(I'm posting this here, rather then in the sport-focused cycling board, as it's more to do with commuting than sports)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Very nice spot for a 5 figure claim, might take some of that action tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Is that photo-shopped?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

monument wrote: »
    That's the notorious 'contra-flow' cycle track on Matt Talbot bridge. Note that the statutory RRM022 marking is missing. And, it's right next to a 6-inch drop onto the road into the path of oncoming traffic. AFAIK, this 'cycle track' does not have a RUS009 sign either.

It's part of "Dublin's Strategic Cycle Network (tm)"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Unreal. That's joined up thinking for ya!

Another issue is that the regulations don't provide any sign for warning pedestrians walking in the opposite direction that they're on a cycle track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Very nice spot for a 5 figure claim, might take some of that action tomorrow :D

Agreed, this is just crying out for some cyclist to slam into it and put in a claim.
    Hey, someone is going to do it…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

And to top it off, nearby we have the Docklands' top class cycle tracks
    Have you contacted DCC about these issues? It would be worth getting their answers/reasons/excuses.

The Dublin Docklands Development Authority might be the owners of these cycle tracks.

Is Cycleway a legal sign? Or does it have to say "Cycle Track".

You should contact Cleary Doyle about the mismatch of map and reality. And report to DCC/DDDA.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

According to DCC parks dep it is to be moved later today

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dublin City Council loves cycle paths so much, they...

The couple in the picture obviously love the cycle path a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

My pet hate is the cycle lane / pedestrian crossing on the otherside of the bridge. Its a real mess.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

daymobrew wrote: »
    Have you contacted DCC about these issues? It would be worth getting their answers/reasons/excuses.

The Dublin Docklands Development Authority might be the owners of these cycle tracks.

No, I haven't contacted anybody about these yet, but maybe I will. And, yes, it looks like the track are DDDA's rather than DCC's.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Its been moved

Traffic wrote: »
    Its been moved
    I'm impressed.

Traffic wrote: »
    Its been moved
    I presume you mean the planter and not the unlawful/dangerous cycle track? It must be very peculiar at night riding into the glare of oncoming headlamps, not being able to see where the kerb drops.
    damobrew]Is Cycleway a legal sign? Or does it have to say "Cycle Track".
    It does not have to say anything, all that matters is the symbol part. But, it's facing the wrong way? The surface marking is for bikes coming in the opposite direction and it's a one-way cycle track.

I presume you mean the planter and not the unlawful/dangerous cycle track? It must be very peculiar at night riding into the glare of oncoming headlamps, not being able to see where the kerb drops.

It does not have to say anything, all that matters is the symbol part. But, it's facing the wrong way? The surface marking is for bikes coming in the opposite direction and it's a one-way cycle track.

Yes, I noticed that. And the ground markings in the section just before it says it's a two way track...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/2481526606/in/set-72157604989607215/

I'm going to go back and try to document the mess that is the Docklands tracks a bit better maybe sometime in the next week, with maps showing where the track is and where and what dirrection the photos are taken from. It really is a mess.

Advertisement