Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victims of computer "recycling"

Options

Comments

Theres a lot to be said for retaining older PC's, this is a new one that I was unaware of. The construction of new PC's also uses huge amounts of energy, as it is we must be soon reaching the point that there is no real need to upgrade your PC, unless you are a real power user.

edit: just to add that the PC I'm using is 10 years old, just changed a few bits in it over time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Who cares as long as the hard drive is removed to protect your data. Most of this problem is caused by China anyway as most of this stuff is originally made in China and they build thing so crappily that it is no wnder they break easy. All we are doing is swapping junk really.

A perfect example is a Miele Clothes Washer, they are extremly well built and cost a good bit more but will last for 30 years if serviced regually etc. the typical Irish consumer buys a Whirlpool piece of junk made in Italy or some other Cheap Chinese Import, which are built shoddily and last 5 or 6 years. Over the life span of a Miele Washer three to five times as much energy and raw materials will be consumer due to inferior makes.

The same goes for Cars, Crappy Toyotas, and Nissans etc. will be on the scrap heap basically after around 8 years. However a similar BMW or Mercedes if serviced right and cared for can literally motor on for 40years, not that your average BMW or Mercedes owner would keep them that long but the same principile applies.

My point is stop making junk and make products that will last and the majority of products enviornemental damage is done during its manufacture not during its lifespan. If I drive buy a Mercedes doing 20MPG and keep it for the next 15yrs, I will have a lower footprint that Mr. Nissan or Captain Toyota Prius who change their vehicle evey 3 or 4 years cause it is showing its age and basically isn't built to last.

Drifting OT but, cars today rarely get scrapped because of terminal rust issues, not like when I started to drive in the 70's when most cars over 6 years old or so had holes in them. These days they are usually scrapped because a couple of spare parts cost more than a replacement car!

Many scrapped cars could go on for several more years if maintained.

But I totally agree with the sentiment that we should build stuff to last!

Unfortunately in some sectors, consumer electronics (PC in particular) - technology advances render the hardware obsolete long before it ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

there are so few repairs places for goods though.

If consumers wanted it repaired, there would soon be repair shops everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

mumhaabu wrote: »

A perfect example is a Miele Clothes Washer, they are extremly well built and cost a good bit more but will last for 30 years if serviced regually etc. the typical Irish consumer buys a Whirlpool piece of junk made in Italy or some other Cheap Chinese Import, which are built shoddily and last 5 or 6 years. Over the life span of a Miele Washer three to five times as much energy and raw materials will be consumer due to inferior makes.

Absolutely. Miele is the only way to go. Virtually everything else on the market is a con that has to be replaced over and over during the life of a house. Miele costs a bit more to buy day one, but you only have to buy Miele appliances once.

A Miele washing machine has a quick wash that uses very little energy and takes a short period of time, which will deal with 80%+ of ones requirements using this energy efficient, non-time wasting programme. The spin dry can be cranked up to 1800 RPM on some models, making the clothes close to dry before you put them in the dryer - spin speed is the critical factor in removing moisture. Most other machines struggle to get to around 1200 RPM. This uses far less energy in extracting water than a tumble dryer.

The Miele dishwashers are the quietiest on the market. The Miele clothes dryer switches off automatically when the clothes are dried to the required level. (not timer based). The Miele steam oven delivers the best tasting food you ever tasted. The Miele Hepa filtered vacuum cleaners leave the air fresh and free from allergens. When it comes to design, build quality, and eco friendliness there is no alternative. Which is a pity! It would be nice if there was some competition in the market...

.probe

www.miele.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mumhaabu wrote: »

The same goes for Cars, Crappy Toyotas, and Nissans etc. will be on the scrap heap basically after around 8 years. However a similar BMW or Mercedes if serviced right and cared for can literally motor on for 40years, not that your average BMW or Mercedes owner would keep them that long but the same principile applies.

My point is stop making junk and make products that will last and the majority of products enviornemental damage is done during its manufacture not during its lifespan. If I drive buy a Mercedes doing 20MPG and keep it for the next 15yrs, I will have a lower footprint that Mr. Nissan or Captain Toyota Prius who change their vehicle evey 3 or 4 years cause it is showing its age and basically isn't built to last.

Sorry to reign on your parade here, but Merc are renowned in the last 10 years for making sh!te that barely makes it off the forecourt. Toyota and most Japanese cars are some of the best built cars in the world at the moment. Merc made great cars till they figured out they where over engineerng and in a bid to save money they lowered their engineering and you get the crap cars they make now.

Everything is made to break it just depends on how lucky you are before it breaks. Most cars will last forever is serviced correctly, you just keep replacing consumables, not only Merc's and BMW's.

Manufactures don't make things to last anymore because customers stopped wanting things that last, and they also found out they could make more money be selling to replace broken items, they want the newest coolest model available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Del2005 wrote: »
    Sorry to reign on your parade here, but Merc are renowned in the last 10 years for making sh!te that barely makes it off the forecourt.

Daimler Benz went through a bad patch during the Jurgen Schremp era (former CEO) when he pushed through the acquisition of Chrysler, and the company lost focus. Things seem to be going back to their traditional MO since he was replaced, and Chrysler was "sold off". Merc's diesel engines are among the cleanest and lowest fuel consuming in their class, (together with BMW). They also have electric (battery and hydrogen) vehicles in the pipeline from 2010 onwards.

I have been in many taxis on the Continent with 300 to 500,000 km on the clock. Your typical Japanese car would be a fairly obnoxious state after doing that amount of work. Asian cars don't stand up well in car smashes either.

.probe

Advertisement