Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Complain or not To Complain

Options
  • 06-07-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello people, just need advise on a work situation that I've become embroiled in recently.

Over the last few months our manager to work has become increasingly unbearable. We can't even approach him without being snapped at. Some of the managers close friends within work have even spoke about his attitude towards other people in the office. All of a sudden he seems to be going on a power trip and disciplining people over the smallest things, which we can't believe that we are getting disciplined on. Our productivity has never been affected by this but the niggly disciplinary still continues. I really enjoy the banter in the office and the work that I do but it has got to the stage where coming to work is only increasing my stress levels. All of the fellow colleagues feel the same but none of us have stepped up to say it to senior management. I am well respected by senior management but wonder is it worth submitting a formal complaint about his attitude. There has been other complaints of bullying against him previously but I haven't known of it to go anywhere. Will another complaint be of any use??

I would probably have the opportunity to work under a different manager in the same office but I would have to justify the reasons for it.

So should I submit a formal complaint against our manager to his boss? My fear is that he will only make life completely unbearable for me which will probably lead to him winning by me resigning. But I also feel that somebody should stand up and speak as this can't continue.

Anyway any advice much appreciated!

Should I Complain to his Boss?? 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think you should make the complaint. If he then makes your life difficult and you are forced to leave, you will have a case for constructive dismissal.

An alternative might be to take him aside and ask him if everything is ok. This is the route I would take. After all, he's still human, and he may be going through a hard time and not realise he is taking it out on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Stringfellow

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm strongly considering making the complaint as some of my colleagues have approached him over his attitude but he still remains the same. I think I might sit on it for a week or so and see if the working conditions improve. If not I will definitely be making the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

First post but I hope that my advice doesn't make folks hope it's my last. :P

Sounds like you're caught between a rock & a hard place. If productivity is still up, odds are the senior management will look at it as just a personality clash & not do much.

Maybe structuring it as a veiled 'complaint' to the manager as a group with the theme being about what can be done collectively to get back to the 'better days'. Basically like an intervention that would have more impact than if it was delivered by one person. If he doesn't respond like in the past when others talked to him, take the same approach & take it to upper management.

Since you are well respected by senior management, you could be the spokesman of a group of employees that aren't just 'complaining' but are trying to find a solution to a growing concern. That approach would have a much better chance of success in my opinion.

Of course you know the situation best & if it's better to hammer him, have at it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

Hi, from previous experience i would not make a complain as i did last year and it only bit me in the ass, thats why this time i am avoiding it and moving on, he will win by u resining and thats what is happening to me at present but i couldnt c...are less, if i was u......and if he leaves u alone and doesnt do anything to u and leaves u alone well then u do the same thing...and if he has a problem with u i would just walk out honestly, but if u are left alone by him and he has nothing against u...please do the same thing...all these HR people will always believe the manager never u they will alway believe a supervisor over u, but always act as the have listened investigated and not been biast towards u. trust me i am doing an honours degree in HR at present and the ****e i have heard makes me sick. but thats just me i rather walk and not have the stress then if u can to listen to them bit ch about everything. good luck but stay away. especially if its not ur fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 AnneO'Donovan

I'm in the middle of this with my company at the moment. I understand how you feel, all I can say is it will be difficult but also worth it. If your company has a handbook have a look at the official procedures for reporting any sort of misconduct and stick to that. Also, contact a union, you do not have to be a member right now, they can sign you up after you contact them and help you out with any advice you need.
    The important thing is not to let this type of behaviour go unchecked but to be prepared to put a lot of energy into doing the right thing.
    good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement