Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband advice?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on which ISP I should choose?

Firstly, I'm in Louth. So I can't get any of that shiny stuff that's around in the Dublin area.

Secondly. I don't want a download cap.

It seems like both Eircom and BT (both of whom I don't care for) have caps. And UTV, who I was planning on going with because they didn't have a cap, seem to be getting a lot of negative comments.

Is there anything you can suggest?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Devoid wrote: »
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice on which ISP I should choose?

Firstly, I'm in Louth. So I can't get any of that shiny stuff that's around in the Dublin area.

Secondly. I don't want a download cap.

It seems like both Eircom and BT (both of whom I don't care for) have caps. And UTV, who I was planning on going with because they didn't have a cap, seem to be getting a lot of negative comments.

Is there anything you can suggest?

Try this site http://www.getbroadband.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Devoid

Dude. e__e;
    I've just spent four hours reading and clicking, kay?
    That site isn't going to tell me peoples' opinions on different ISPs.
    That's why I came HERE.
    But still, thanks.

Dude. e__e;
    I've just spent four hours reading and clicking, kay?
    That site isn't going to tell me peoples' opinions on different ISPs.
    That's why I came HERE.
    But still, thanks.

That site will tell you what you can get in your area.

Come back to us with the list and we will tell you what we think.

Kay.

Imag!ne
    Smart
    Perlico
    Irish Broadband
    BT
    Digiweb
    Eircom
    ICE Broadband

It doesn't have UTV there, but that's also available.

Kay.

Imag!ne
    Smart
    Perlico
    Irish Broadband
    BT
    Digiweb
    Eircom
    ICE Broadband

It doesn't have UTV there, but that's also available.

If you have a good phone line go with Eircom the rest there only resell bandwidth.

If your phone line is a bit crap you should go with Irish Broadband Breeze not Ripwave.

You should also check out the Smart offer they are a great company.

Avoid Ice Broadband at all costs.

Irish Broadband is the only one there with no cap.

I am not sure about Smart as regards a cap.

• Advertisement

Smart on it's 4meg pack has no download limit.

If your line is good Smart if not Irish Broadband.

Or move up to Dublin 292587450.png:D:D:D

When I went to the Smart website it said it was unavailable in my area.

Eircom is icky.

How, reliable would Breeze be if it's not connected to a phone line? I was using a 3G modem- and the connectivity was (and is) horrendous.

Is Imagine bad? They had a 60GB download limit for an extra euro p/m.

Moving. Yes. But- I think the next time I move, I want to go to California. 8D When the clouds are low in the sky - everything feels so compressed.

When I went to the Smart website it said it was unavailable in my area.

Eircom is icky.

How, reliable would Breeze be if it's not connected to a phone line? I was using a 3G modem- and the connectivity was (and is) horrendous.

Moving. Yes. But- I think the next time I move, I want to go to California. 8D When the clouds are low in the sky - everything feels so compressed.

For Irish Broadband Breeze you have to get an antenna fitted to your roof so I believe the signal is very good.

Their Ripwave product is rubbish if you want the real deal you need to go for Breeze.

The question is could you live with a small square antenna on your roof?

You must have seen them about.

3G is a joke and I would not even call it Broadband.

Don't know anything about these.

There doesn't seem to be any positive or negative stuff about Imagine anywhere. Which. Isn't good.

I haven't seen any of those antennae. I guess Breeze seems like the option to take- but. Wait. They're saying they don't have coverage for my area.

So back to Eircom with their 20GB limit? Is UTV really bad even if it is reselling bandwidth? They do have no download cap.

-exhausted-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Digiweb Metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eircom never actually enforce their download limit. I'm more than double the 30GB i'm allowed every month without a bother. BT only enforce their limit on people who go over 100GB per month (limit is 30).

There doesn't seem to be any positive or negative stuff about Imagine anywhere. Which. Isn't good.

I haven't seen any of those antennae. I guess Breeze seems like the option to take- but. Wait. They're saying they don't have coverage for my area.

So back to Eircom with their 20GB limit? Is UTV really bad even if it is reselling bandwidth? They do have no download cap.

-exhausted-

I have read bad things about UTV on here.

What about that other poster Digi web or something I don't know anything about it.

You should try looking it up.

Sorry to hear about no Breeze in your area.:(

Thanks. xD

They don't enforce it? Hmm. I like that.

I looked up digiweb metro. The speed seems slow for something that's 100 p/m.

So.. Which is generally preferred between BT and Eircom?

Thanks. xD

Eircom BT is a reseller if you have a problem with BT you will get passed between BT and Eircom.

That is what you get for living in the country lots of fresh air and very little choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Anyone but Ice Broadband.
    Ice Broadband is hands down the worst service in the history of Broadband.

Try calling their support number for the crack and see if you get an answer.

Sure even if you email them it gets bounced.

Go with anyone else instead of them.

@ BigglesMcGee: Ouch. That's terrible.

@ Ranicand: Eh. I suppose that's always messy.

Anyway. Thanks for the help and information (and if they don't enforce those caps- it's not so bad). 8D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thanks. xD

It's under 30 Euro for 3Mbps/512k, no line rental, so that's cheaper than many similar DSL and includes a phone connection. No phone line used.

Maybe you looked at the Satellite product by mistake?

BT also do their own DSL, not just resold eircom, but not sure if that's available where you are.

If you want to spend money on Line rental for DSL (speed ot getting it all depends on quality of line and distance from exchange) nearly everyone supplies it now (inc Digiweb) and some suppliers even when resold eircom have a good service. The non-resold (LLU) is available from Magnet, BT, Smart, Digiweb and maybe others, but only in specific exchanges due to high eircom costs for rack space, access etc, not just the line rental cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Anyone but Ice Broadband.
    Ice Broadband is hands down the worst service in the history of Broadband.

Try calling their support number for the crack and see if you get an answer.

Sure even if you email them it gets bounced.

Go with anyone else instead of them.

l0l
    doubt its worse than ripware is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

Hi Devoid - so what did you opt for in the end??? and what has the experience been like so far??

Imagine bought Irish Broadband so now when you look at the deals and terms that Irish Broadband are offering they suddenly dont offer no download cap
    Its now Imagine's pathetic broadband cap across all Irish Broadband offers

My friend is on a 1 meg Imagine line and got charged 25 euro on his last bill for going over the cap

Imagine seem to be really anal about their cap and dont have a reputation for offering fast up and down, their packages are really pretty basic

Where in Louth are you?
    Some of the wireless options wont work in parts of Louth and NONE of them are unlimited download caps so dsl is the only way to go but who is giving the best offers for unlimited download?

• Advertisement
Advertisement