Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Top Gear in doubt

Options
  • 05-07-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

The future of Top Gear, the BBC's popular motoring programme, has been thrown into doubt after reports that James May and Richard Hammond may leave the show.
    Sources said that the presenters of the hit BBC Two series had not yet signed their new contracts even though their current agreements expire at the end of the month.
    It has been claimed that there has been "a meltdown" in negotiations and that the pair "turned down flat" the first offer from the BBC.
    They were said to be arguing that they deserve a pay package similar to that enjoyed by Jeremy Clarkson, their co-presenter.

Full story.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I can't see them leaving. And as good as Clarkson is, it just wouldn't be the same without May and Hammond

This could all be a publicity stunt aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm sure it could be. Maney is as good a reason as any to quit though. I could see how they'd be pissed if Clarkson is getting a nice fat pay packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if they leave TG will continue with some retooling, while May and Hammond have media lives beyond TG they'll be the main loosers. Anyway if the deal is a poor one BBC should have the wit to improve it - they make a lot from the programme.

Thats assuming its even a correct story.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5igTWXoigSyG1U-nVcevbC2EZqbAg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I love Top Gear and I love the three guys that present it. I know JC was the main presenter for years but the two others make it a very enjoyable show to watch, something I dout JC could do alone.

I understand the fact he may be peed off if he is earning the same money as them as he has been around longer but he has made so much from the show does it really matter?

I'm sure TG will survive. What about the Stig, what does he have to say for himself? He deserves the biggest pay rise if you ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lets start a collection to raise money for them so they stay on.
    Send all money to my paypal a/c and I'll forward it on to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

kbannon wrote: »
    Lets start a collection to raise money for them so they stay on.
    Send all money to my paypal a/c and I'll forward it on to them!
    How thoughtful. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

why would they leave? They have without a doubt, the greatest job in the history of the world ever.

I'd do it for free (i'd pay to do it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

mike65 wrote: »
    Well if they leave TG will continue with some retooling, while May and Hammond have media lives beyond TG they'll be the main loosers.

Mike.

i dont really agree with that, may (maybe) but hammond has a big tv career, he is onte of the most wanted presenters the bbc has!

Advertisement