Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paulaner = Headache ??

Options
  • 05-07-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭

In the interest of research and stumped by the limited choice to drink in The Spiegiel Tent (Paulaner, Murphy's or wine) I drank Paulaner again.

Oh my poor little head!

I do admit to over indulging a little lately - what with a wedding weekend, Cork's mid summer festival etc but the only bad headaches I've had are after the two times I've drunk Paulaner.

A German wheat beer should not do this.
    No good beer should do this.

Does anyone else have experience of this apart from two friends who informed me today that they were NEVER going to drink Paulaner again?
    I don't remember Erdinger having that effect and Schneiderweiss of Weihenstephaner certainly don't do it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The beer selection in the Spiegeltent is pretty bizarre alright. I found myself alternating between Murphy's and Sol. Not a pleasant mixture!

I find that more than one or two pints of any weissbier will give me a hangover, but German lagers don't have the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Cant say it happen to me, but prefer it from the bottle

Was this draft?

I've never had a bad hangover from paulaner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Paulaner was always good to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I get hangovers from Paulaner too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The beer selection in the Spiegeltent is pretty bizarre alright.
    It's just beers made by Heineken, by the sounds of it. Write and ask for Zyweic, Moretti or Krusovice if that's more to your taste :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

oblivious wrote: »
    Cant say it happen to me, but prefer it from the bottle

Was this draft?

Draught one night, bottle the other.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's just beers made by Heineken, by the sounds of it. Write and ask for Zyweic, Moretti or Krusovice if that's more to your taste :)

I think Heineken are less bothered about customer choice here than pushing certain brands. They didn't sell Heineken here so as to force Heineken drinkers to try Paulaner or Sol. It's Heineken choice, not customer choice and the organisers aren't bothered cause they probably got a huge cheque from Heineken. It's all part of Heineken trying to drive Erdinger out of the Irish market. I really like Erdinger but Noreast Beers have spent about 12 years creating a market for Weissbier in Ireland and Heineken could well drive them out of business with a beer that gives me nasty chemical hagovers (= bad beer in my book). Hu, Hu,....Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't think the following applies to any of the previous posters, as most are comparing like with like, but one thing I see many drinkers doing is ignoring strength and serving sizes.

So you have a guy who's usual is 8 bottles of heineken, 8x330mlx4.3% changing to 8 bottles of erdinger, 8x500mlx5.3%. There is nearly twice the alcohol there. Many just think in "drinks", be it shots, wine, liquers, longnecks pints etc.

If you try explaining this some just do not get it, showing it in terms of cash gets their attention. I have mates slagging "oh drinking your fancy posh beers" etc. Lad who drink 330ml heinekens for €5 a bottle in some places, so just mention to them that works out at €8.60 per pint and they soon shut up (but still go on being ripped off).

Even if you do realise the alcohol content, many will ignore the dehydration effect, which is usually the main cause of a hangover/headache for many people. Paulaner is 5.5%, if you drink the same units of alcohol (as your usual ~4.3%) without taking in your usual amounts of water you can expect to be more dehydrated- i.e. have a pint of water with every few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It's just beers made by Heineken, by the sounds of it.

That explains it. I wasn't aware that Paulaner was a Heineken brand. Do they brew it under licence here? That might explain the hangovers.

The way the brewing industry is going, soon the only beer option left will be a delicious 500 ml serving of InBevBudStellOmniBrew.

• Advertisement

That explains it. I wasn't aware that Paulaner was a Heineken brand. Do they brew it under licence here? That might explain the hangovers.

The way the brewing industry is going, soon the only beer option left will be a delicious 500 ml serving of InBevBudStellOmniBrew.

As far as I know it's still brewed in Germany but it sure doesn't feel like it.
    If the rate Heineken are pushing it here is any indication they must have increased their production hugely which must have quality issues?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

soon the only beer option left will be a delicious 500 ml serving of InBevBudStellOmniBrew.
    There are plenty of good Irish beers out there, and quality imports as well. It falls on us the drinkers to stop buying mass-produced crap, otherwise nothing will change.
    If the rate Heineken are pushing it here is any indication they must have increased their production hugely which must have quality issues?
    They're pushing it very heavily all over Europe, I hear. I can't say I'd had a problem with it quality-wise, however.

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't think the following applies to any of the previous posters, as most are comparing like with like, but one thing I see many drinkers doing is ignoring strength and serving sizes..

Yea I agree with that alright, but i think in this case the he believe the problem was directly with Paulaner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

A night on the Weiss never really leaves me with any problems as i usually go for water to compensate for the higher %

I like Paulaner but as some poster mentioned it's not gonna be good if they end up with domination of our market.
    Erdinger gets a lot of flac from fans of good beer despite the fact it was probably one of the first weiss beers they tried a few years ago. Someone posted a while back that heineken were paying erdinger stocking pubs to change over (or perhaps giving a heap of free kegs?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I've never really like Paulaner from a tap, the off licence bought bottles seem to taste nicer to me for some reason. I got a pretty bad hangover from it after a few glasses in the laughter lounge on the Quays a good while ago but that may have been some bad food.

Although it's not a wheat beer Warsteiner tastes like hangover to me, one bottle and it's headache time.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    A night on the Weiss never really leaves me with any problems as i usually go for water to compensate for the higher %

I like Paulaner but as some poster mentioned it's not gonna be good if they end up with domination of our market.
    Erdinger gets a lot of flac from fans of good beer despite the fact it was probably one of the first weiss beers they tried a few years ago. Someone posted a while back that heineken were paying erdinger stocking pubs to change over (or perhaps giving a heap of free kegs?)

Yup loads of free kegs being offered.

I did a rant here

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

i find two or three weiss will give me a headache within an hour of drinking them....:(

A it off topic but...why does erdinger get a lot of flack. It was the first weissbier I tried and I love the stuff. It aint the best beer in the world but it's not bad by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

A it off topic but...why does erdinger get a lot of flack. It was the first weissbier I tried and I love the stuff. It aint the best beer in the world but it's not bad by any means.

id take an erdinger over a paul anyday of the week...:p

For me its just a little blanker than some of the others.

Also i if possible I prefer a hefe that has been bottled with there original stain and not a lager yeast, but then again so many of then do that :(

• Advertisement

I find Erdinger a bit bland but it did open Irish people to the idea of drinking Weissbier. I'd drink it before I'd drink Paulaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

You know what i mean. snobbery exists in all walks of life. imagine a smoker of Camels looking down at a smoker of john player blue. I remember getting a dodgy look in a serious beer pub once when i ordered an erdinger and i remember once being out on a night out with a society in college, i asked the lad getting the beer from an erdinger and he brought back a franziskanner, he commented that nobody drinks erdinger these days :D

my first weissbier was an erdinger, and i barely drink the stuff nowadays as there is a lot better stuf on the market, though i do love the Dunkel. Though if erdinger was my only choice i wouldnt refuse it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

Don't know if anyone here has tried Paulaner Helles. It's the lager version of Paulaner. Just back from holiday in Greece where it was widely served in draught form. It's my favourite lager out there and is streets ahead of their Weissbier IMHO. In fact, I'd rate it as my favourite lager of all, just ahead of Hofbrau and Andechs Special Hell.

I think I'll call Heineken and ask them to introduce it here :) It doesn't mess you up the way a feed of Weiss does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I get a hangover after only 1 glass of paulaner! This was proved at the Leonard Cohen concert (i was driving).... a friend was saying they had the same experience!

Dinkie wrote: »
    I get a hangover after only 1 glass of paulaner! This was proved at the Leonard Cohen concert (i was driving).... a friend was saying they had the same experience!

It's not just me, then?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The first few times i drank it i got a smashing headache, nearly migraine like , still drank it though :P

Anyway didn't go near it for months then had a few the last night and nothing :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yea bottle fine I reckon but draught = no

Advertisement