Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky box in a motorhome

Options
  • 05-07-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Guys

Recently bought a motor home in germany with a Teleco motorised system in it, But all i could get was all german channels, have now changed the tuner box for what they call "easy sat" (cost€1000) this is just a dish positioner and is not a "tuner". can now pick pick up astra 28.2 no problem
    I have seen 12v Pace 1000 Sky boxes on e-bay in the uk can i fit one of these after the positioner and use my irish sky viewing card?????

Thanks

Dawna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

dawna wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Recently bought a motor home in germany with a Teleco motorised system in it, But all i could get was all german channels, have now changed the tuner box for what they call "easy sat" (cost€1000) this is just a dish positioner and is not a "tuner". can now pick pick up astra 28.2 no problem
    I have seen 12v Pace 1000 Sky boxes on e-bay in the uk can i fit one of these after the positioner and use my irish sky viewing card?????

Thanks

Dawna
    Yes , no problem with that. The pace 12v minibox is a nice bit of kit.
    Alternatively get a power inverter and use any sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hi there, are you residing in germany or will you be bringing the motor home to Ireland/uk?

If staying in germany you wont be able to get subscription channels(you may temporarily get them but will lose them i assure you) you should be able to get freeview (now i dont know if it will be freeview in Ireland or germany's freeview)

If in Ireland/uk then yes you can do this and get all your subbed channels will have to ring sky to get the box paired with the card

GAAman wrote: »
    Hi there, are you residing in germany or will you be bringing the motor home to Ireland/uk?

If staying in germany you wont be able to get subscription channels(you may temporarily get them but will lose them i assure you) you should be able to get freeview (now i dont know if it will be freeview in Ireland or germany's freeview)

If in Ireland/uk then yes you can do this and get all your subbed channels will have to ring sky to get the box paired with the card

Freeview? No mention of DTT in OP , He 's talking about satellite. No need to pair card to box unless you subscribe to , and want to watch in the van, premium channels (movies and sports)

my irish sky viewing card
    Rippy wrote: »
    Freeview? No mention of DTT in OP , He 's talking about satellite. No need to pair card to box unless you subscribe to , and want to watch in the van, premium channels (movies and sports)

I was covering both possible outcomes of the question(ie subscription channels or if the op just meant freeview as they never clarified) as the op has their own irish vc(which obviously was paired with another box) with (possibly) a uk box how would the box and card would work together unless they are paired together?

Freeview = trade name for DTT (Digital Terrestrial) in the UK.
    Are you confusing with FTA satellite? Or Freesat (trade name for BBC/ ITV sponsered receivers and EPG?
    ANY sky box will work with ANY sky card, only needs to be paired to view the premium channels.
    As someone who used to work for sky, you should know this basic stuff!

• Advertisement

You are right on one thing and wrong on another, i did mean free to view hence me saying the "freeview" channels in both Ireland and germany as the op didnt say where they would be based

And no alot of times any old card wont work for the likes of bbc's itv's etc as i said it may work for awhile but pretty soon you would get the "this is the wrong card for this set top box" message regardless of being a subscription channel or a free one, trust me my friend i have come across this alot and pairing the card to the box and one other thing (which i dont know if i could go into as it is to do with the sky internal system so maybe i shouldnt) are the only way to solve this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dawna

Guys maybe i am picking this up wrong but can i not use my sky card from home in this new box? does the card have to be paired to the box also??
    and if so is it possible to pair to 2 boxes???? as i dont want to have to get a second sub with sky.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭emaherx

Guys maybe i am picking this up wrong but can i not use my sky card from home in this new box? does the card have to be paired to the box also??
    and if so is it possible to pair to 2 boxes???? as i dont want to have to get a second sub with sky.....

As long as you don't want to watch premium Channels (ie. Sports or Movie Pack) there is no need to pair the box and card.

If you do want to watch the Premium Channels then just bring the entire box and buy an inverter instead of the 12 V box.

GAAman wrote:
    You are right on one thing and wrong on another, i did mean free to view hence me saying the "freeview" channels in both Ireland and germany as the op didnt say where they would be based

And no alot of times any old card wont work for the likes of bbc's itv's etc as i said it may work for awhile but pretty soon you would get the "this is the wrong card for this set top box" message regardless of being a subscription channel or a free one, trust me my friend i have come across this alot and pairing the card to the box and one other thing (which i dont know if i could go into as it is to do with the sky internal system so maybe i shouldnt) are the only way to solve this

I'm afraid GAAman you are a little confused
    Freeview= terrestrial nothing to do with satellite
    Free to View or FTV requires a card with a once off payment (only channel 5 and sky 3 any way)
    FTA is Free to AIR, no card required. BBC , ITV, CH4 etc

So any card whether it is active, paired, unpaired, canceled, inserted, not inserted or is a cheese sandwich will work for BBC.:D

I use my card in an unpaired box with no problem, and have done so for over a year. If I try to look at a Premium Channel it say's "this is the wrong card for the box". But since I haven't paid for those channels it dose not matter. Normal pay channels such as Sky1 and Discovery work fine.

emaherx wrote: »

So any card whether it is active, paired, unpaired, canceled, inserted, not inserted or is a cheese sandwich will work for BBC.:D

No i am not confused i just have my own terminology which people should be able to understand without me explaining it ;)

As for what i quoted i Guarantee that message will be received on normal channels as you said like sky 1, bbc's etc, listen i worked there for over a year i know what i am talking about if i had a cheese toastie for everytime i got something like this.........i would be sick to death of cheese toasties!

And the only way to fix this? By pairing the card and the box, not astra scans nor as i mentioned above the other way (which i wont go into as it involves sky system information)

Maybe i will have to agree to disagree with you folks but i am speaking from experience (i just did the maths based on an average estimate and its over 12,000 customers :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭emaherx

GAAman wrote: »
    No i am not confused i just have my own terminology which people should be able to understand without me explaining it ;)

As for what i quoted i Guarantee that message will be received on normal channels as you said like sky 1, bbc's etc, listen i worked there for over a year i know what i am talking about if i had a cheese toastie for everytime i got something like this.........i would be sick to death of cheese toasties!

And the only way to fix this? By pairing the card and the box, not astra scans nor as i mentioned above the other way (which i wont go into as it involves sky system information)

Maybe i will have to agree to disagree with you folks but i am speaking from experience (i just did the maths based on an average estimate and its over 12,000 customers :eek:)

Well don't tell my sky box of scottish origin with its non paired Irish Sub card in it (been there over a year now) this information.

BBC/ITV/Ch4 (well one region of CH4 any way) do not require a card paired or otherwise.

Plenty of other people on this forum have reported having non paired cards in their receivers working for everything except Movies, Sports and a little less reported but them naughty stations also:D.

Using you own terminology is misleading for people who are trying to learn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement