Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to london?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi,
    Just back in ireland after spending the last 1.5years in australia. Now that i've seen the friends and family again I'm looking at moving off somewhere else and at the moment i'm considering London. I'm a structural engineer so think it would be a good time to go there with the olympics coming up. So would just like to hear from people who live(or have lived) there. What's the life like there?
    I lived in sydney for a year so im quite used to city life now, but most people I know who are from London say its really stressful, hectic, busy, unfriendly, is this true? Slightly concerned that it might be difficult to fit in there and meet people. Didnt really have any difficulties with this when i lived in sydney and i do know a few people who live there but it concerns me as i'd be going there on my own and im generally a shy person. Maybe itd be best to stay in hostels for a while to meet people and then look for places together(this is what i did in oz, or is it different in london?)
    What areas would you recommend to live? centre or outside the centre? i'm single, 26, male so would like to be in a young vibrant trendy area. willing to pay a bit, but not break the bank
    Finally, any good websites with info on settling in, accomodation, finding jobs, etc in london?
    thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ryansx

Hi nialinho,

I haven't lived there, but making the move in August. I'm a town planner and going there for the same reasons plus work has really slowed here. I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself buthave the job side sorted, know few there and shy but any time i've been over there i've really enjoyed the buzz of the place.

www.workgateways.com is a good starting point. Covers the basics about moving to the uk such as bank accounts and national insurance numbers, and has an engineering jobs section.

www.gumtree.com is the best for accomodation. Search houseshares for the differnt post codes to get a feel for the prices.

Im male 24 so looking for the same sort of area as yourself and could do with advice in this also!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nialinho

Thanks for those sites. I was already aware of the gumtree site and have been looking through it recently since i'm moving there next week(got a job in the city near liverpool st. station). Just not really sure what area would be nice to live. Any out there have any advice?

Advertisement